Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:50 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Resizing SuperSpriteSurface2 (and thus OpenGLSurface)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:00 pm 

I've been writing a game and keep coming back to this same problem, putting it on the back burner, coming back again, and it's super frustrating. Hopefully I can find a solution this time! :(

Summary: A resizable window with a SuperSpriteSurface that is locked top bottom left right (ie, it resizes with the window). When any resizing is done, the SuperSpriteSurface continues to show the exact same amount of graphic data for the original size, now stretched and distorted across the new size.

How do I make it instead reveal more of the "world" rather than do all this stretching and such? (!)

YouTube Demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDJNbteURM

Surely there must be a way, even it it means modifying some of the SuperSpriteSurface framework's OpenGL routines... or something. Given how popular SuperSpriteSurface seems to be now compared to when I first started using it, I sure hope somebody out there has run into this and found a solution. :?

Post subject: Re: Resizing SuperSpriteSurface2 (and thus OpenGLSurface)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:22 pm 

I agree that this is a problem that needs a solution. It's one of the two last items on SSS 2.0's "ToDo" list that need addressing before I declare it final. I've been extremely swamped over the past few years with full-time work, and haven't given this issue the attention it needs. I would be extremely grateful if the community found a solution that I could incorporate into the final 2.0 release of SSS. :)

John Balestrieri
Tinrocket, LLC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:35 pm 

Thanks for posting a response. I understand how full-time work makes unpaid work less appealing. I've tried looking through the framework source myself, but I'm a RealBasic developer not an OpenGL developer, so I'm still not entirely sure what to do here.

I probably won't even release my software, or (less ideally) will release a fixed-window version until I can find a solution this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:06 pm 

My initial hunch is that the OpenGL context would need to be torn down and rebuilt at the new size. Alternatively, the OpenGL surface could be initialized at the size of the full-screen resolution, and then just clipped to the window size as the window is resized. Either solution would require some poking around SSS. OpenGLSurface, the parent class of the SSS control, is now in the hands of RS, so any required re-tooling there would need to be done by RS. I'm hoping someone who has experience with resizable OpenGL contexts will jump in any moment now... :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:45 pm 

Are you saying that the solution we'd have to find would be in SuperSpriteSurface and not in OpenGLSurface, because it's now controlled by Real Software? Is this possibly the crux of the problem?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:13 pm 

I might be in either, or both; I'd have to sit down and take a closer look.

dpaanlka wrote:
Are you saying that the solution we'd have to find would be in SuperSpriteSurface and not in OpenGLSurface, because it's now controlled by Real Software? Is this possibly the crux of the problem?