Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:35 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Still for gaming?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:02 am 

Hey all,
I'm considering using RB for gaming development, but after doing some reading here and at the RB main site, it seems that all of the game specific stuff is being deprecated. I was wondering what everyone's feeling on this was, especially those of you doing game development. Knowing what you know about RB and the importance (or lack of if that's the case) of these "de-emphasized" technologies, would you start today using RB to develop a game, or would you look elsewhere for a game development platform? If one has to use OpenGL is there any benefit to using RB versus another language, is there still an ease of use factor, or does that go away with 3D app development?

I've knocked my head against the C++ wall a number of times, and I'd rather not go that route for my hobby, I want something that will let me start playing with my ideas quickly. I do have programming experience in Basic and some Pascal, as well as a number of database technologies, RB looks nice and fairly easy to deal with, however I don't want to waste my time on something that RB Software doesn't want to support or see as a part of the long term vision of the IDE. Anyway, I really appreciate any responses.
Thanks
Joe

Post subject: Re: Still for gaming?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:44 pm 

I am currently developing a game with REALbasic and OpenGL, and REALbasics ease-of-use is helping. Most of the old built-in technologies weren't really that great anyway. Still, I am not sure if REALbasic is the way to go either, but...

Drop me a PM if you want to check out a build of my game. It is a 3d-ish shoot-em-up that I just started on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:55 pm 

Quote:
I've knocked my head against the C++ wall a number of times, and I'd rather not go that route for my hobby, I want something that will let me start playing with my ideas quickly.

That has REALbasic written all over it. I would expect some good openGL wrappers to come out as people transition from the old technologies, which will make it a lot easier for you. Search the forums for openGL, there might already be some stuff you can use.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:00 pm 
Real Software Engineer

Some of the technologies that have been deprecated have replacements
Sprite Surface is replaced by Super Sprite Surface

Using OpenGL from within has a few different projects (google for relbasic opengl)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:30 pm 

There has been an effort of late to replicate RB3D with OpenGL. Somewhere in the games forum, there's even an early version of RB3D that is nearly feature-complete. I myself am working on my own OpenGL implementation, and there are others who have built complete OpenGL Declare modules for RB.

If you're willing to delve into OpenGL, then I can readily attest that I've been getting good framerates well in excess of the minimum 60 FPS.

Jeff Quan
jeff@jcquan.com
http://www.jcquan.com/JQportfolio
My RBGL replacement classes: http://www.jcquan.com/REALbasic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:03 pm 

Thanks for all the responses.

Let me see if I understand the relationships properly. OpenGL is responsible for simply rendering my graphics, but the physics, movement, collision etc is all handled by RB? So the RBGL3D and other "wrappers" that I've seen mentioned is simply an "RB" way of talking to OpenGL? So I don't have to get into OpenGL's specific syntax? I'm trying to understand the relationship between, OpenGL and RB. I'll probably write Jeff directly about his use of OpenGL unless he'd like to go more in depth into it here. I clearly still have a lot of learning to do on RB as well, ie. Declare modules etc. Again thanks for the input.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 am 

Looks like you've got it. OpenGL only draws, nothing more. It's up to the individual to add stuff like physics. The wrappers I'm using is a fairly complete set of OpenGL declares that I'm wrapping once again to replicate and extend RB3D, thus shielding the user from needing to know OpenGL. There is a trade off between speed (pure OpenGL declares) and ease of use (my and other people's own API), but one that for me has been acceptable so far.

Jeff Quan
jeff@jcquan.com
http://www.jcquan.com/JQportfolio
My RBGL replacement classes: http://www.jcquan.com/REALbasic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:05 pm 

If you're mainly interested in developing games I'd look at BlitzMax (for 2d games) or Unity (for 3d games). For free tools there's PyGame, Blender, and a few others. RealBasic's newfound allegiance to OpenGL may eventually bear fruit, but it will be a while before it's pleasant.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:00 am 

jgabrielli@mac.com wrote:
Hey all,
I'm considering using RB for gaming development, but after doing some reading here and at the RB main site, it seems that all of the game specific stuff is being deprecated.

You haven't said what kind of game you're thinking of developing.

In a very humble mode, you may want to take a look at rbKarel which uses RBScript to create some 2D animated graphics and has simple collision-detection with walls and objects in a world.

I'm currently working on an article about it which explains things in more depth.