Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:58 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best RBGL Documentation?
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:25 pm 

Well here's my situation.

I wanted to start a little project based on a personal favorite game of mine from back in the day.

Zelda.

I wanted to port the SNES version graphics into a sprite surface and make an MMO out of it.

The network program I could handle perfectly fine the fact I've never worked with any 3d engine nor 2D engine or tried to create anything is kinda having me really limited on this one.

I've worked around 3d engines but never directly built a game engine from scratch and that was directx.

And from where I stand I don't even know where I should start.

Now, what I'm wondering is how you've all learned what you have so far about creating 2d engines or etc I'm willing to sit here all day and read about it I'm extremely enthusiastic about doing this.

And I've already got a lot of alpha layered sprite sheets for buildings, characters and etc I wish to use.

My first goal really is to just get a static background going and insert a player from there worry about collision handling and etc later.

The first steps I took were just finding the proper canvas/sprite surface since I read so much about the normal one being limited I decided to start of with the RBGL Sprites one... but from there I checked out a lot of the examples and really cannot even understand the first bit about it.

I tried to google around for documentation specifically for RB and came up with absolutely no results, so I tried looking into 2D isometric engine examples for OpenGL and well the most I found was C++ I studied it a bit and got a basic concept of things but still really no idea on how the functions on the one in RB/RBGL work.

So my question to just cut to the point with out trailing on a huge boring post on you guys is, Is there any good documentation on the actual RGBL Sprites system or just that you'd recommend in general where I could learn the basics and pickup the rest from there so I can get started on this little project of mine.

Post subject: Re: Best RBGL Documentation?
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:34 am 

You might want to get familiar with drawing in REALbasic before you move on to using RBGL. They both expose the same API as I understand, but RBGL likely makes some hidden tradeoffs to provide hardware acceleration. I'm not saying don't use it in the long run, but rather get familiar with RB's built-in facilities first before getting too far ahead of yourself.

And who knows, maybe RB's built-in graphics will give you enough performance to handle a 2d sprite game on its own.