Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:14 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Torque
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:48 am 

Hello

I know that Torque is not directly available for REALBasic. Has anyone ported TGE to REALBasic? (or written wrapper's that allow TGE to work in RB)

Post subject: Re: Torque
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:23 pm 

My only thought: can RB show HTML content that includes plugins/ActiveX controls?

I wanted to combine the Unity game engine with RB, and considered doing it that way. I believe Torque too has a webplayer now.

It wasn't important enough for me to pursue so I don't know. Just a thought to investigate, maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:54 am 

Torque is written in C/C++... I don't think port will ever happen... because honestly, the Torque Game Engine is old and outdated. As for Unity... why use RB for Unity? You can just use Unity Editor... >,<;;

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:31 am 

bambamyi wrote:
... why use RB for Unity? You can just use Unity Editor... >,<;;

To get real OS UI controls, menu bar, SQL database management, and the other strengths of RB :) Especially if your 3D app is not a game (Unity's core strength). I'd love to have a Unity view wrapped in a real cross-platform window of controls.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:34 am 

Morgan wrote:
bambamyi wrote:
... why use RB for Unity? You can just use Unity Editor... >,<;;

To get real OS UI controls, menu bar, SQL database management, and the other strengths of RB :) Especially if your 3D app is not a game (Unity's core strength). I'd love to have a Unity view wrapped in a real cross-platform window of controls.

Unity has SQL database management out of the box (for every version -- indie, pro, iPhone.

Unity doesn't do "real OS" UI controls, but it does have robust and easily extensible cross-platform GUI controls that look the same on every platform (including storing required font images) so you don't compile for Mac from Windows and discover you can't read any button captions.

That said, RB does display HTML just fine so you can wrap a Unity project in RealBasic if you really want to. The one thing you probably can't do (easily) is have RB force Unity to full screen because of browser sandbox limitations (the fullscreen has to be instigated from a mouseclick or somesuch, you can't tell Unity to go fullscreen via JavaScript say). But then RealBasic doesn't integrate HTML terribly well anyway (e.g. I don't think RB can "talk to" the web page it's displaying -- please enlighten me if I'm wrong, since it would make writing html and css editors in RealBasic much more doable).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:05 am 

Unity can do databases, but being able to manage an database with real sortable listboxes, checkboxes in columns, and all that good stuff--while looking like a real desktop app--can be vital for a non-game. I can't imagine trying to do my SQL projects in Unity instead of RB. But I CAN imagine lots of great uses for a Unity view embedded within an RB app! That would be awesome.

However, if RB can't talk to the Unity view, then it wouldn't be much use. (Ideal I'd also rather not demand that the user install a webplayer--but that's not the end of the world.)

If RB gains a browser scripting interface so that plugin content can talk to the RB host environment, that would be great! I think that would complete the puzzle. (Last I checked was over a year ago--so if they've added that I haven't noticed.)

(Off-topic but I'm actually porting my own HTML editor from Lingo--yikes!--to RB. It's simple enough that it's working quite well so far! I've come up with a shockingly ugly hack for embedding links in styled text boxes :D )

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:34 pm 

I think it would be substantially easier to produce a nice database front end in Unity than to do high end 3d graphics in RealBasic ;-)

But yes, I agree.