Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:53 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Missing/inoperable functionality in RB databases
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:03 pm 

Perhaps it's just my version of RB (I do have 2005 release 4), but there seems to be quite a bit of database functionality missing. For as long as I have had RB, the database aspect of the program has seemed like a poor stepchild.

In particular, when a table and it's columns are created, there is no apparent way of say changing any of the properties of columns. You can't delete a column despite the icon that says that this is possible (greyed out). It sure would be nice to move columns around, but the only way that I know to reorder columns, change their names, change their properties, or insert new columns is to completely delete the table and start over.

Bummer. Is this just a work in progress and something I'll just have to wait to see in later releases or is my RB app broken owing to some combination of OS and hardware?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this matter.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:14 pm 

I had the same frustration. I ended up downloading the SQLite Database Browser. It opens RB databases very well and allows you to modify structure and data.

http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:58 pm 

I'm going to be a bit crass here so if you are weak of heart stop reading now.

The problem is not RB the problem is you. You need to educate yourself a little more on databases, and database structures. If you knew what you were doing you'd never open the database browser. Moving columns around is not a database "thing" it's a browser "thing". Granted the RB browser isn't the greatest, but I really don't understand why one would ever have to open it or care what "arrangement" of columns it uses.

Why on earth would you want to change Data Types, VarChar are now Integers? and the database engine should go through all the data that is there and change it for you ? It just makes no sense that someone should spend all that time coding the database engine for a programmer that doesn't design his tables properly.

Take the day it takes to learn SQL and use the database like a database engineer would use it not like a person who wants to do a half-hearted job would do it. In the long run your "day of education" will pay off 1000 fold

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:41 pm 

Jym,

It appears that the RB database browser has more functionality than it in fact has. That's the point that I was trying to make, ineffectively it seems.

The browser has icons that are greyed out. If no functionality is assigned to the icon, it seems reasonable to ask why the icon is there.

You say that this is a browser but it seems to me that it is also a means of creating or modifying a database structure. My motivations for changing the database structure are questionable as you see it, but when the so-called browser allows for creation and modification, it stands to reason that being able to say change the name of a column isn't too much to ask of this feature of RB.

In other words, the database browser of RB seems to imply, if not entirely have, functionality that is perhaps not intended by its author.

By the way, it is convenient to load a table into a multi-column listbox sequentially. If one wishes to have the columns arranged in a particular order, then ordering the database table in the same manner makes sense and eases the programming burden. I'm just lazy I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:57 pm 

AFAIK these "functions" that are in the browser are there for the setup of a column/table ... for example when you add a column it's titled "Untitled" once you change it to something usable and commit the change it is then written in stone. SQLite is what determines whether or not you can change a column name because it's that engine that is being used ... SQLite doesn't support that feature so there is nothing RB can do about it. If the store doesn't have milk it doesn't matter who you are sending to the store, they won't come back with milk.

SQLite is very small and very fast and very solid, every feature added to it increases the size and decreases it's speed, and the features that are left out of SQL92 are features that are 99% the fault of a poor design stage of the database file or useless features for an embedded database

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:37 pm 

RB is a programming language that supports several databases.
It’s not a stand-alone database development language.

As such, it only offers a very limited front-end to any database.
To try and offer complete control for every database, would be a monster project.
However, you have the power to do whatever you want in code.

Find a good browser or manager for your database.
Use it to setup and modify stuff.
Use RB for the coding.
You’ll be happy. :)