Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:00 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: How to save a boolean?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

I'm in the process of reworking much of those docs for 2013r1.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:57 pm 

I posted a demo boolean project above... The datatype saved is not text or an integer (although SQLite saves Boolean data as "true"/"false" since all sqlite database data is text-based...)...although the class automatically handles boolean types from data as the BooleanValue function does found in the Demo project attached above ;-)

It all depends on the database you are using since there is no cross-database standards...

http://www.sqlite.org/datatype3.html

The documentation sort of assumes users have Pre-existing knowledge of the database they are using...

Visit Xojo Developer's Spot!
Systems I Use:
Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008 r2/Windows 7/Windows 8
Mac OSX 10.5/Mac OSX 10.6/Mac OSX Server/Ubuntu/Debian/Suse/Red Hat/
Windows Server 2011/CentOS 5.4 /ReactOS/SimOS

~All Xojo Compatible~

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:28 am 

simulanics wrote:
The documentation sort of assumes users have Pre-existing knowledge of the database they are using...

It shouldn't. Many come to databases through their programming aka "better use a database to store that"

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:09 pm 

You can't possibly expect RS to reproduce the documentation for each of the available databases - sqlite, mysql, mssql, postgres, oracle, etc., or even the SQL language itself. They must expect a certain amount of understanding of those things that lie outside of RB.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:21 pm 

timhare wrote:
You can't possibly expect RS to reproduce the documentation for each of the available databases - sqlite, mysql, mssql, postgres, oracle, etc., or even the SQL language itself. They must expect a certain amount of understanding of those things that lie outside of RB.

Then the RS/Xojo docs should have links to the appropriate outside docs for at least the most common databases.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

silverpie wrote:
timhare wrote:

Then the RS/Xojo docs should have links to the appropriate outside docs for at least the most common databases.

Indeed. The docs for SQLiteDatabase do have links to the official SQLite documentation. In addition, the new User Guide has a section in the Databases chapter for each database we support. This may not be perfect, but it ought to be a lot better than before. Check them out on Tuesday when Xojo is released.

And actually, you can check out the wiki now: https://docs.xojo.com/index.php/SQLiteDatabase

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:33 am 

timhare wrote:

I don't. Please read the whole thread before cherry-picking.

I complained about the confusing documentation and missing example on how to save a boolean. I basically got the answer that RS users usually know how to work with databases. Now those users might not even need a documentation on how to save a boolean. However my point is that many do not, and for those it needs to be shown how to use a database with REALbasic.