Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:54 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ASP.Net/Oracle to Real Studio Web
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:46 pm 

I've looked and found nothing. I'm investigating the plausibility of migrating from the visual studio/asp.net/Oracle devlopment environment to Real Studio/Oracle. We use a dedicated Oracle data server. Wanna point me to some useful info/examples?

I'm trying to do a simple proof of concept and then move on from there, but something isn't cooperating. I'm thinking that though Real Studio is reporting a valid connection, it really isn't. I have a simple form with a label (lblConnection), a button (btnSearch), and listbox (lbData). The user, password, and data base all work and are part of my normal development environment (I've changed the data below for obvious reasons). Click the button and the listbox fills with the table data. Well, it's supposed to...

Dim db as OracleDatabase
Dim sqlstring as OracleSQLPreapredStatement

'open a database connection
db = New OracleDatabase
db.DatabaseName = "database"
db.UserName = "user"
db.Password = "password"
db.Debug = 1
if Not db.Connect() Then
MsgBox(db.ErrorMessage)
Return
Else
lblConnection.Text = "Connected!"
sqlString = OracleSQLPreapredStatement(db.Prepare("SELECT * FROM table WHERE id = '12345678'"))

'Perform the search
Dim rs as RecordSet
rs = db.SQLSelect("SELECT * FROM table WHERE id = '12345678'")

if db.Error Then
MsgBox db.ErrorMessage
End

if rs = NIL Then Return

lbData.DeleteAllRows
lbData.ColumnCount = rs.FieldCount
lbData.HasHeading = True

Dim hasHeadings As Boolean

While Not rs.EOF
lbData.AddRow ""

For i As Integer = 0 To rs.FieldCount-1
If Not hasHeadings Then lbData.Heading(i) = rs.IdxField(i+1).Name
lbData.Cell(lbData.LastIndex, i) = rs.IdxField(i+1).StringValue
Next

rs.MoveNext
hasHeadings = True
Wend
End If

Running the web app shows the form fine and changes the label (lblConnection.Text) to a "Connected!" but when I walk through the code, it hangs at the rs= db.SQLSelect("SELECT * FROM tabel WHERE id = 12345678"). You'll note that I call the db.SQLSELECT with a string though I have an OracleSQLPreparedStatement defined earlier in the code. That's because I've found several mutations of interacting with a db and have been experimenting. As usuual, Oracle seems to require something special. Just what that is, I'd love to know!

I've tried the example Oracle app included with the installation with similar results. The documentaiton wiki does not go into enough detail on Oracle (well for me anyway) and the more I followed the links the more I ended up in the weeds. Oh, and this is the first time I think I've ever completely stumped Google!

I appreciate anyone's help here...
-Tim

Post subject: Re: ASP.Net/Oracle to Real Studio Web
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Since you have Debug = 1, is there any useful information in the console?

Where is Oracle installed? On the same machine as this test app or elsewhere?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:33 pm 

Hey Paul. Thanks for the interest.

This is very odd. I went back to verify my findings to post a response and now I have further issues, but only with Real Studio. My developer box has Oracle, VS 2012, 2008, and 2005 Enterprise with all the associated 'stuff' so I maintain a pretty good configuration control on it.

With that said, I can bring up Real Studio to work on the project just fine, but it won't run/debug! I just get the "Launching..." in the browser. I'm stumped! The trial license says I have 10 days left. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

tcorcoran wrote:
With that said, I can bring up Real Studio to work on the project just fine, but it won't run/debug! I just get the "Launching..." in the browser. I'm stumped! The trial license says I have 10 days left. Any suggestions?

You might check the debug port in build settings. It defaults to 8080, but it's possible that port is in use by something else.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:52 pm 

A little more information....

I rebooted (hey, sometimes it just works). No joy.
I re-installed Real Studio. Still no work
I opened almost every security restriction we enforce in IE. Still nothing.

-Tim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:58 pm 

Paul,

Mine is set to port 80. It is showing the Real Studio app icon and "Launching..." in the browser. Just nothing after. In fact it will eventually timeout Real Studio. I get a system message of "DebugMy Application.exe has stopped working".

I don't think I can spend much more time on this one. It seems that using Real Studio with a remote Oracle data server is not done by many, if any. At least for now, we will pass on pursuing this any further.

I appreciate the help.

-Tim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

tcorcoran wrote:
Mine is set to port 80. It is showing the Real Studio app icon and "Launching..." in the browser. Just nothing after. In fact it will eventually timeout Real Studio. I get a system message of "DebugMy Application.exe has stopped working".

Port 80? That would never work. Port 80 is used by IIS on Windows, so using it would definitely cause a Real Studio web app to time out. You should change it to an unused port, perhaps something more obscure, such as 8693.

tcorcoran wrote:
I don't think I can spend much more time on this one. It seems that using Real Studio with a remote Oracle data server is not done by many, if any. At least for now, we will pass on pursuing this any further.

I'm sorry to hear that. Oracle is definitely not as commonly used with Real Studio as something like PostgreSQL, but I know of several customers that are using Oracle with a Real Studio web app and it also works fine in my test VM.

To simplify things you should probably just test your Oracle connection using a desktop app. And once you have that working, then you can take a look at creating a web app. Debugging two things at once is never easy!

Don't hesitate to get in touch if you want to give it another go.