Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:53 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Database query control binding
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:08 pm 

I started out with RB 5.x and tried RB 2006 (but went back to 5.x).

In both of these studios, you could bind the Database query control, but I can not seem to find information about doing the same in RB 2012, both the User guide and Language reference barely mention it.

Is there still a way to bind this control? I realize it is a simple control with only one function, but sometimes thats all you need or want and am curious as to how to use it in this package.

Some time savers, I already have long since read and put into practice a lot of the tips in the database tips thread, know about safe quotes and prepared statements, etc. and am really only looking to find a bit more information about the Database query control in its current implementation.

Thank you for your time.

Post subject: Re: Database query control binding
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:16 pm 

Search DataControl in the LR I don't use it but that tells all. Maybe some of the examples use it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:23 pm 

Binding has been deprecated and should be avoided, along with (in my opinion) the DataControl.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:22 pm 

Jym wrote:
Search DataControl in the LR I don't use it but that tells all. Maybe some of the examples use it.
Thank you for the input Jym, but I was referring specifically to the dbquery control, not the datacontrol itself. I did read through both the language reference and user's guide, the dbquery is barely mentioned (and nothing about binding it).

Equally frustrating, there was one example using the datacontrol, and exactly 0 using the dbquery. I guess as tim says, binding has been deprecated </understatement>.

timhare wrote:
Binding has been deprecated and should be avoided, along with (in my opinion) the DataControl.
Yes, tim, I am pretty familiar with your feelings on it (have read a number of posts similar to this one), and while I can appreciate the feelings you state, although I haven't had the same experiences with both controls, I have yet to find a faster way of testing than the dbquerys qad method.

It really only does one thing, does it fine, and takes (at most) 2 lines to run/update vs. (for me) coding a method and running rs calls to it. The ability to bind the result to almost anything else like a text box, or combo box, or list box made it a fine control in my opinion. It was one of the few "almost too simple to fail" controls in the package.

But enough of that, if it is deprecated, then it is deprecated. Too bad. Thank you both for the input :)