Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:07 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: nOOb question.. what should I use?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:15 pm 

Okay... It's a totally nOOb question because I haven't had the need to use databases... until now...

I have a list of names with corresponding email addresses and what product they bought. If I was going to write an app to keep track of these people, add more, email certain ones, send someone a new reg code, etc, etc, what kind of database should I use?

I could save all the info to a text file and update that. I don't see this list of names getting over 100 or so...

any suggestions on what approach I should take?

C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:44 pm 

I would recommend using a database like the REALSQL database engine. You'll have a lot more flexibility in retrieving the data you are looking for in less code, plus a database will be more expandable in the future.

Lets say you decide to start storing phone numbers with the email addresses. A database will make this type of management a lot easier on you than a text file.

It should also be easier to keep track of which user has received what email, etc if its all in a database. It might take a little longer to figure out how to work with databases but I believe it will save you time in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:13 pm 

If you are using 2005 I'd agree with Mike, because it's using the SQLite database and in the future you won't be tied to Realbasic if you decide for whatever reason you want to move to a different language. Most languages can work with a SQLite database. However anything prior to 2005 you may want to think about a plugin and using something other than the RealDatabase because you aren't going to be able to find anything else that is capable of reading a RealDatabase.