Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:22 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Plug-in for FireBird
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:21 am 

Hello All,

We are using the standard edition of RealBasic 5.5.5

We are trying to convert a VB based software to RB. In the VB version of the software we are using FireBird - the open source multi platform Client Server RDBMS.

I am wondering if there is any Plugin available for FireBird.......

Thanks in Advance.

Yogi Yang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:34 am 

You might have problems with a standard version of 5.5.5. As far as I remember, the standard version limits database queries to 50 rows. With 2005, I think this restriction was removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:13 am 

AFAIK there is no native plugin for Firebird/Interbase available for free ?

We use Firebird / ODBC and have had no problems (as long as you use SQLSelect and SQLExecute)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:02 pm 

Quote:
Charlie Boisseau - You might have problems with a standard version of 5.5.5. As far as I remember, the standard version limits database queries to 50 rows. With 2005, I think this restriction was removed.

Actually we did not find any such limitations. And RealSoft seems to scream their head off telling that the Standard Editon has complete DB Support.

Quote:
talk2sk - We use Firebird / ODBC and have had no problems (as long as you use SQLSelect and SQLExecute)

Actually it is possible to get all the data from FB to any Language which supports dynamic Arrays and calling external DLLs. We are planning to use that for now but if there were any Plugins available for FB it would have been great as we love FB and like to use it. Esp. navigation would be easy and so will the operations like AddNew, Modify, etc. etc. as we are yet playing with RB as a real alternative to VB. We have not decided to ditch VB for RB yet.

BTW I have a personal grudge against RB (my companies Mgt. want to make the shift if possible :cry: ) as it's Hardware Requirements are too high for a Basic Language Compiler...... Using RB for all kindes of development would mean updating out Hardware (10 PC) which would cost us a lot more then the price of RB...... unjustifiable....... Using .NET with SharpDevelop is more cheaper then purchasing RB as it runs faultlessly on our current Hardware (of course a littel bit sloooooower) as we do not have to upgrade our current hardware.

We have implemented a mini ERP system on FB for a one of our clients since one year and it is running superbly! The system is developed in JAVA .