Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:52 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lock the REALSQLDatabase
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:36 am 

Hi,
is it possible to lock the REALSQLDatabase with a password?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:41 pm 

Create a table with a column called password. Use that to hold your password Run an SQLSelect against that, and disconnect if the RecordSet.EOF = true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:38 pm 

Actually I have been faced with a more practical problem. My application uses a database, AND I DONT WANT MY CUSTOMER TO MEDDLE WITH THE DATABASE (trying to view/export/import etc) (I have custom tools to aid with import/export which maintain consistency across the system). HOW can this be done ? With Access I could set a encrypted password (given that it is not really that difficult to break).

Firebird (which I currently use) have left it up in the air by saying thats not what databases are for :-). What about REALSQLDatabase (given that it runs on SQLite)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:43 am 

If you mean, can the data in the database be encrypted, the answer is no, that feature has not yet been implemented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:53 am 

talk2sk wrote:
Actually I have been faced with a more practical problem. My application uses a database, AND I DONT WANT MY CUSTOMER TO MEDDLE WITH THE DATABASE (trying to view/export/import etc) (I have custom tools to aid with import/export which maintain consistency across the system). HOW can this be done ? With Access I could set a encrypted password (given that it is not really that difficult to break).

Firebird (which I currently use) have left it up in the air by saying thats not what databases are for :-). What about REALSQLDatabase (given that it runs on SQLite)

Do you want to just prevent them from opening the database with a tool that can access SQLite databases? If this is the case you try to 'break' the database file when you aren't using it by maybe reversing the first 16 bytes or something like that. Then before opening the database you would reverse them back to the original order.

I have not done any testing to see if this would prevent the database file from being opened but it might be something to try.

Post subject: Encrypt Database
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:47 pm 

What about the encrypt function when you right click on a database file in the project window

will that prevent it from being opened in an editor?