Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:25 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Running Real Studio over WAN
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:53 am 

I am setting up my first web app using Real Studio Enterprise 2012 r2.1 on Mac 10.8 with MySQL Community Server 5.6.10. Everything seems to be working well on my local network. Any computer on the local network running a web browser does everything it is supposed to, however, I cannot access the program outside the local network.

Locally, I access the program using 192.168.0.100:8080.

On my router, I have forwarded port 8080 to 192.168.0.100 and turned my firewall on my Mac with RS off. I have also set up a VPN between the remote computer and the local computer, typing in the local ip address of the server but it just hangs.

When I enter the WAN ip of the server, the remote browser immediately gives an error message ("You tried to visit 12.34.567.xxx which is not loading").

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Running Real Studio over WAN
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:44 pm 

Turns out my ISP is blocking port 8080. I switched to port 81 (ie. on my router, I forwarded port 81 to port 80) and everything started working outside the local network.

I have not tested this using the standalone app, but it turns out creating the CGI app was quite easy to do.

To save someone some future headaches, here are the steps to set up the web app and web server on Mac OS X:

1. In Real Studio, choose Build Settings from the Project menu.
2. Click the WEB tab.
3. Set BUILD TYPE as CGI.
4. Leave CHOOSE PORT AUTOMATICALLY checked.
5. Click OK to save these settings.

Build the application and place the newly created My Application folder into the Sites folder (which is in your home folder). If there is no Sites folder, you should be able to just make a new folder and name it Sites.

Start the Apache Web Server (on Mac OS X):

Simply follow these instructions: http://osxdaily.com/2012/09/02/start-apache-web-server-mac-os-x/

There is one minor omission in the instructions above.
The command:

nano /etc/apache2/users/USERNAME.conf

should be:

sudo nano /etc/apache2/users/USERNAME.conf

If you remember to replace your short username every time USERNAME is referenced in these instructions (and don't make any typos), you should be up and running.

From outside your local network, you need to add port 81 to the url to run the app (ie. my_domain.com:81). On your local machine, you can just type 127.0.0.1 or localhost.

Hope this helps some other newbie trying to get started with launching their first web app.