Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:04 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Informal Load Testing Results ... iPad Bad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:46 pm 

We did an informal load test today of a real site (that we are about to launch) with about 30 simultaneous connections from people all over the place. We have (5) web apps running in "stand alone" mode behind Nginx as a load balancer and handling SSL. We did not have near enough users testing. My guess is that (1) standalone web app could have handled the load just fine. Once we go live, we might have as many as 100 users simultaneously. We just want to have plenty of capacity in case there is a spike in usage. Informally, I would guess that the configuration we have would support at least 100 users at a time.

Several "testers" reported issues and it seems to be their internet connection and nothing necessarily in the RealStudio Web App.

"Bad Experience" Users:

#1 He was using a laptop connected to his network with a wireless router on a dsl connection. This user said his internet was fine most of the time. But when using the WE site, he got lots of pauses, lags and delays but it was still usable.

#2 She was in my office using an iPad on our wireless router. Our internet connection runs at 50Mbp. I tested the website on her iPad. It was extremely slow and unresponsive, barely usable. When you click a button you can wait about 30 seconds and if nothing happens you can continue clicking and it will eventually respond. Sometimes the next few clicks will respond then it will start to "hang" again.

Is this an iPad issue?

Is there anything, programming wise, we can do to help either situation above?

Thanks,
Brandon

Post subject: Re: Informal Load Testing Results ... iPad Bad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:06 pm 

xbww wrote:
#2 She was in my office using an iPad on our wireless router. Our internet connection runs at 50Mbp. I tested the website on her iPad. It was extremely slow and unresponsive, barely usable. When you click a button you can wait about 30 seconds and if nothing happens you can continue clicking and it will eventually respond. Sometimes the next few clicks will respond then it will start to "hang" again.

Was the test site in the office or hosted elsewhere? Were other sites loading fine on the iPad? Wireless networks can have many issues on their own that affect latency and bandwidth. There's really not much info to go on here to help you. Since the iPad was on your network you could put a capture tool somewhere on the network and do some traffic analysis if it comes to that.

First thing would be to do some basic troubleshooting and post your findings if that doesn't reveal the problem.

Post subject: Re: Informal Load Testing Results ... iPad Bad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:12 pm 

Thanks for the response kevo. The site is hosted elsewhere on a vps. I did not test the ipad on other sites...should have. I guess I was just wondering in general...are there known issues with ipads and WE sites? Are there programming techniques with WE to help "hide" latency issues? I suspect the answer to #2 is no.