Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:35 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Responsiveness on iPad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:51 pm 

Playing around with WE on iPad to try to decide if its a viable option for iPad development and ran into a pretty big issue. It seems like there is a severe lack of responsiveness on the iPad when trying to use WE apps. If you very gently tap on an item in a WebListbox, it will typically select. However, anything more seems to not register making the WE apps seem almost useless on iOS. Has anyone else run into this and have any suggestions to improve this?

Post subject: Re: Responsiveness on iPad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:06 am 

johnnyaction314 wrote:
Playing around with WE on iPad to try to decide if its a viable option for iPad development and ran into a pretty big issue. It seems like there is a severe lack of responsiveness on the iPad when trying to use WE apps. If you very gently tap on an item in a WebListbox, it will typically select. However, anything more seems to not register making the WE apps seem almost useless on iOS. Has anyone else run into this and have any suggestions to improve this?

Are you sure your WE server is fast enough?
Does a computer using the same WE page have a significantly quicker response time?
Does your iPad have a good/quick internet connection?

Maybe you should try other WE developer's pages with your iPad and see if it's any better.
Did you try REAL's WE app demo on their website?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:33 am 

Optimizing for the iPad takes a fair amount of extra work at this point. It can be done, but you may have to alter how you designed certain parts of your app.

For example I wouldn't use the toolbar. I've found the responsiveness sucks. Making your own as a WebContainer of WebContainers is surprisingly easy and very effective.

Labels also don't receive there MouseDown events very well on the iPad. You're better off using a button or imageView. I'm hoping they fix this.

On WebListboxes don't use the double click event. I use the cell select event and if the row was already selected then count it as a double click. I also set a lastClick date so that if a user triple clicks something it doesn't do the same action multiple times unless that lastClick date was more than a second ago.

Also keep in mind you can't right click on a tablet, but that certainly doesn't mean you cant present contextual menus.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:53 am 

It's making me doubt on the ability to make webapp working on iPad !
Does someone know if these responsiveness problems on iPad has been fixed with 2013R1 (Xojo) ?