Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:06 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: IIS 6 Deployment Issues
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:56 pm 

Hello,

I am attempting to deploy my first Web project. The server is a 2003 Windows IIS 6 machine with two NICs, one internal and one external with several dedicated IP's on the external for hosting.

After playing around, I finally got the web edition to respond! ;-) The bad is, the response is an error.
Quote:
The application has gone off-line. Please try again later.

After researching and diagnosing, I think there are two issues.

1.) My Perl script, on line 390, is returning the entire perl path which includes the app.cgi name. This is a minor issue as I can change the script to remove the application name from the end of the path, just remember not to copy newer app.cgi files to my server. This fix allowed the application to start.

2.) I notice the realbasic app.exe does load into memory and after a minute or two, unloads itself again. I have set the port to 8090 and opened the firewall to my hosting IP address. After researching with telnet I discovered the RealBasic app.exe is listening on the internal private network 192.168.5.101; and not my hosted external IP address.

Because this is a dual home server, and further we have multiple dedicated IPs on the public NIC (of course my deployment isn't the default IP on that NIC either) I need a way to tell the web app which IP to listen on.

Is there a config.cfg or hidden class parameter to tell the compiled application which IP address to use?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: IIS 6 Deployment Issues
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:36 am 
Real Software Engineer

First of all, one of the reasons II6 is not a supported hosting platform is because we were never able to get it to work properly. That being said:

If you are building for CGI:

- The app itself listens on one IP or another is irrelevant. The only thing that communicates directly with the app if the .cgi file which is launched by IIS itself.

- The Port that the app listens on should not require an open port on the firewall as It's simply accepting connections from localhost.

- The fact that the app launches and then quits 3 minutes later is normal. It will always do this if there are no web sessions connected.

I AM curious for a little more detail about the change you made to the .cgi script. Can you show me a before and after example?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:23 pm 

This is actually the first I've heard that IIS 6 was not supported. All the documentation, blogs, and posts in early 2011 just mentions IIS, it isn't until the recent release that IIS 7.0 is specifically mentioned as working. I suppose it makes sense, 2008 server has been out ever since the first release of Web.

As for the cgi perl script generated, line 390 is in error, the functions should be reversed.

Original code as produced when you build:
390:          my $dir = dirname(abs_path($0));

Modified code that works:
390:          my $dir = abs_path(dirname($0));

An abs_path on $0 produces the error:
Cannot chdir to xxxxxxxx\myapp.cgi No such file or directory at myapp.cgi line 390
because dirname hasn't had a chance to strip myapp.cgi from the absolute path yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:05 pm 

:( Well I'm 0-2 now. Can't get it up on DreamHost either.

I've tried CGI and StandAlone builds.
I've verified permissions of 755 on the app and .cgi.
I've verified ia32-libs are installed.
I've verified GLIBC (i think 2.11) is loaded.
I've then modified the httpd.conf file per these instructions:
http://www.rbdevzone.com/2010/12/dreamh ... b-edition/
Although I don't know if they are outdated now. I remember seeing the blog about fast-cgi wasn't the best solution so then you introduced the perl script to start the app; so still using fast-cgi too or not?

The same article above also mentioned changes to the .htaccess file, the build one is completely different, I've tried each one separately and then added them together, no difference.

There seems to be two issues, first [app].cgi doesn't run it tries to download to the client. (file download) So I renamed it [app].fcgi then it runs.

The error is always the same, Unable to launch application '[app]' on port xxxxx

I've tried using 'choose port automatically' and also tried assigning 8090. No change.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:45 pm 

If you are in need of development and testing hosting, I can provide free hosting and web space over at realstudiodevspot.com. You may use a domain name you already own, or use a free domain such as dot.tk simply forward me a PM from your RSDS account so the hosting space can be linked to your account... Although the hosting is still in beta, we're successfully hosting over 120 community members web apps at the moment and will have almost a year of uptime beginning February :-)

Visit Xojo Developer's Spot!
Systems I Use:
Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008 r2/Windows 7/Windows 8
Mac OSX 10.5/Mac OSX 10.6/Mac OSX Server/Ubuntu/Debian/Suse/Red Hat/
Windows Server 2011/CentOS 5.4 /ReactOS/SimOS

~All Xojo Compatible~