Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:23 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New to Web Edition - Application Goes Offline on host
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:54 am 

Hi, I'm new to web edition (been using Realbasic for years on desktop). I have GoDaddy.com as my host with a Linux server. I have simply compiled a new web app and uploaded the appropriate files to my GoDaddy file manager and set the appropriate permissions. The application launches and seems to run fine, but after a couple minutes it goes to "The Application Has Gone Offline, Please Try Again Later" screen (this happens even if I move the mouse and click randomly on the page once a minute). I'm using a Mac and have tried this with Chrome, Safari, and Firefox and all three have the same result. I thought it might be the new Session.Timeout variable, so in the show event of the web page I set Session.Timeout = 0 (according to the documentation that should disable the timeout) and I still have the same result. When I run the application locally via clicking run in RealStudio I do not have this problem. Also, using the same browsers and trying the "Orders" sample application on RealSoftware's site I do not have this problem. Could it be something going on with the GoDaddy host? I'm also thinking of setting up a 'handshake' between the browser and the server to run every 30 seconds to see if that will solve the problem. In the mean time I thought I'd post my problem here and see if anyone else has had a similar problem and what the fix may be.

Post subject: Re: New to Web Edition - Application Goes Offline on host
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:06 am 

I am getting this exact same thing when testing locally.
I can not get ANY of the Web demos to run. It always gives the timeout or Application gone offline, or I get a dialog with the following message :-

Application Launch Error
The application launch has timed out.

I am using RealStudio 2011 r4.3 (Trial Edition).
Any one any thoughts ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:28 am 

Well, this is what I tried - but doesn't seem to work.

App.TickleApp(i As Integer) As Integer
return i + 1

Then in the page I added a Property named TickleNum, and a timer on the page to run every 30 seconds. Then, in the Action event of the timer I have...

TickleNum = App.TickleApp(TickleNum)
TickleField.Text = "I have tickled the app " + str(TickleNum) + " times"

Crude I know, but it's just a test. Anyway, I'm assuming at least that anything that is in the "App" class is running on the server. And I'm also assuming that since it goes off line usually within 2 minutes (sometimes it can go as long as 5) that it is going off line do to inactivity, but I can't be sure since it doesn't have this same behavior when running in the debugger. Again, just to be clear. The app launches and appears to be working fine - but after between 2 and 5 minutes it goes to the "The application has gone off-line. Please try again later". Screen.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:31 am 

Not sure if this will work for you but it seems a couple of months back I had this issue and I set app.AutoQuit to false.
Seemed to work for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:08 pm 

Well, autoQuit = false seems logical, however I've tried putting it in the App.Open event, and the Page.Shown event, and both times it seems to work fine in debug. However, when I upload it to the server, each time it said "Unable to launch application 'testApp' on port xxxxx". When I comment that one line of code out it works again. Seems strange that setting autoQuit to false would cause it to not launch in the first place. Also, I have been watching the console in Chrome and have been seeing some interesting errors when the app dies, so at the moment I'm making various attempts to fix the problem and watching the results. I'll post my results in a while when I have a better idea as to what I think is happening.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:33 pm 

Here is what I'm getting in the console....

POST http://www.bigskilletband.com/cgi/myapp ... /comm/push 504 (Gateway Time-out) framework.js:377
RS.comm.ajax.begin framework.js:377
POST http://www.bigskilletband.com/cgi/myapp ... /comm/push 504 (Gateway Time-out) framework.js:377
RS.comm.ajax.begin framework.js:377
POST http://www.bigskilletband.com/cgi/myapp ... /comm/ping 404 (Not Found) framework.js:413
RS.comm.ajax.ping framework.js:413

The app dies the moment the 404 error occurs, and after that it continues getting 404 errors. In both cases, the 504 and the 404, the line of javascript that the Console is pointing to is xhr.send();

Not sure where to go from here. I'll have to read through the Javascript to better understand what is happening and try to find a work around if possible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:50 pm 

I think it can be the server that kills your app if it uses to much IO.
Some hosting providers has such security rules on their servers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:33 pm 

Well, if that's the case then I'm not going to be able to use WE. I can't imagine there would be much io going on - the current app is nothing more than File -> New Project... -> Web, then compiled for Linux and uploaded to the server. It's a blank app essentially. Check it out if you would like...

http://www.bigskilletband.com/cgi/myapplication.cgi

The one I was using when I started this thread earlier this morning wasn't much more, just a label, a couple text boxes and a segmented button. The only code added was from attempts to find and fix this issue. I'm really hoping it's something I can fix, REALStudio has been my favorite programming environment since version 4 - and I love the idea of using it for web.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:45 am 

I looked at Firebugs Consol and just like you, after 1m 24s it gets 504 Gateway Time-out, some seconds later, 404 File not found.
The appor AJAX connection is definitely killed by the server. I can't see anything else :/
Is it on a shared server? I would recommend getting a VPS or PS for your WE app :)