Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:44 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Questions about first attempt Web app
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:17 am 

Hi,

I have been using RB for 5 years now, but never tried the Web approach.
But now I have decided to try it out to make a Web app that can run in a browser with my iPad as target.
Instead of using a lot of time digging into the forum, I have a couple of start out questions.

1. Can I put the app on my Mac OS X Mountain Lion and use it from an Apache Server that I all ready have set up ?

2. I need some smooth graphics. Is there a working Open GL approach or similar build in ?

3. Java code can be executed I noticed somewhere, but will I able to run some Processing scripts instead of going the Open GL route.

4. Is Web app similar to RB when it comes to graphics, text or other file types ? I am thinking the way the files can be included in a project just by dropping them to RB

Just need some initial thoughts. I will dig in to the details later and ask if necessary ;-)

Re Peter

Post subject: Re: Questions about first attempt Web app
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

peterthisted wrote:
1. Can I put the app on my Mac OS X Mountain Lion and use it from an Apache Server that I all ready have set up ?

Yes, but you may have to do some configuration of the Apache server so that it can run CGI files.
peterthisted wrote:
2. I need some smooth graphics. Is there a working Open GL approach or similar build in ?

WebAnimator can be used to move controls around in the browser. These controls could be ImageViews, so maybe that would do what you want?
peterthisted wrote:
3. Java code can be executed I noticed somewhere, but will I able to run some Processing scripts instead of going the Open GL route.

Web applications cannot run Java code. You can embed JavaScript code, though.
peterthisted wrote:
4. Is Web app similar to RB when it comes to graphics, text or other file types ? I am thinking the way the files can be included in a project just by dropping them to RB

Most files, text and graphics can be used as is with web applications. StyledText does not have a way to be displayed (unless you somehow convert it to HTML first). Graphics works the same by using a Picture and drawing it using an ImageView.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:07 am 

Thanks 8)
I think I will give it a try.

Are there any examples on the web that shows what can be accomplished using RB Web ?
I am mainly thinking of the animation and graphical capabilities.
I tried to Google it but are only able to find the one from RB. However that only deals with a database type app.

Re Peter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:04 am 

peterthisted wrote:
Thanks 8)
I think I will give it a try.

Are there any examples on the web that shows what can be accomplished using RB Web ?
I am mainly thinking of the animation and graphical capabilities.
I tried to Google it but are only able to find the one from RB. However that only deals with a database type app.

Re Peter

There are a few examples in the Example folder that comes with Real Studio under the Web category :)