Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:17 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: I need a Real Web deployment example
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:22 pm 

I think you have zeroed in on the target of your issue. Since I was already hosting some clients' web sites, I simply upgraded my server and installed FastCGI when the first Web Edition was released. (I am one of the listed hosts on RS's site.)

Setting the accounts/server up for standard CGI deployment really only required opening the firewall for the .cgi-to-app control port(s).

Running FastCGI with 2011R1 compiled apps requires a couple of PERL modules to be installed for "IO" and "Threads". (I consider this the optional final step after you get the plain .cgi apps running.)

One approach you might try is to upload a simple HelloWorld app, set the permissions correctly, try to run it, then ask your server admins to see what they find in the error log (like a port problem, etc.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:43 pm 

Quote:
Does anyone have a sample test file that they know successfully runs on a server?
From what I can see it is an issue with an "application" not launching on a given port as the connection is being refused.

I have a sample HelloWorld I set up for folks looking at my server. I also have a link to the compiled files that I uploaded to my server.

Build settings are set for Linus with CGI as they Type, and "Choose Port Automatically" enabled.

http://juicedhost.com/helloworld

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:12 pm 

I've finally got my hello world to work on my linux host.

Doing what Bob said about permissions seems to be the permissions (all the build content make 775). The folder with the libs is 775, but the content of that folder is 664 which seems ok).

I noticed - after I changed the main cgi to 775, I saw the error "Unable to launch application on port 23966: Permission denied". This seems to be due to improper permission on the exe itself (changed it from 664 -> 775). This seems to be the fix (like Bob said) but initially after changing it, and hitting page reload, I got another "500 Error" - I was ready to tear out my hair, but for some reason I hit page reload again, and then saw my 'hello world' message. FWIW I'm using Chrome browser.

So the tip is 'hit page reload at least a couple of times' to make sure it's working or not.

I think it was not essential in my case to add

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

HTH. Thanks to Bob & other's here. It's worth for someone to summarise this and make it sticky, or better still RS should put this info into the user manual!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:16 pm 

Oops - all is not well. Soon after my 'hello world' appeared I got a big black dialog over the top "This application has encountered a fatal error:" with some HTML code, and a space for me to add a comment. The dialog seems to be related to RS (provide them feedback). Anyone seen this?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:37 pm 

mskuma wrote:
Oops - all is not well. Soon after my 'hello world' appeared I got a big black dialog over the top "This application has encountered a fatal error:" with some HTML code, and a space for me to add a comment. The dialog seems to be related to RS (provide them feedback). Anyone seen this?

Yes. It's a javascript error screen. Fill it out and it gets sent (I believe) to RS for review.

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:41 pm 

mskuma wrote:
The folder with the libs is 775, but the content of that folder is 664 which seems ok).

BTW changing all those to 775, doesn't make this problem go away.

I still have an issue on my local Windows 7 machine - it seems to not be a firewall issue (I've disabled it & AV software). I can get a test CGI script to work, so I'm still scratching around on that front.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:47 pm 

Bob Keeney wrote:
Yes. It's a javascript error screen. Fill it out and it gets sent (I believe) to RS for review.

Thanks Bob. I sent the response.

FWIW the content of the error is:

Trouble evaluating AJAX response: Unexpected token

<whole bunch of HTML>

and near the bottom, some text "Technical Information (for support personnel)"

Background: The gateway could not receive a timely response from the website you are trying to access, a DNS server, or another gateway server. This might indicate that the network is congested or that the website is experiencing technical difficulties.

<Date/time & Server info>
Error Code 1460: Timeout

So this might be an issue on our side (client-side firewall).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:52 pm 

mskuma wrote:
I've finally got my hello world to work on my linux host.
HTH. Thanks to Bob & other's here. It's worth for someone to summarise this and make it sticky, or better still RS should put this info into the user manual!

Well good to see you got it working. I can't even get that far just yet.

As for summary, I am definitely doing that for me and others who might encounter the same problem, although I think Bob's video was very helpful. At least it helped me to determine that I was doing the right things. There were others who personally messaged me and I really appreciate their help.

This is a great community indeed :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:52 pm 

...but the forum sucks. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:38 pm 

realwebnerd wrote:

i dont think so look here, se why these forums dont suck and show what you can do:
http://forums.realsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38108

Now try to build something cool.. its an example of how to use jQuery in RS Web (without guarantee, but it works for now!)

- Plugins (MBS Complete, ToringoLib, Einhugur, VanHoek + Some open source plugins)
For Dutch User Groups ask me to enter!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:23 pm 

swort wrote:
realwebnerd wrote:

i dont think so look here, se why these forums dont suck and show what you can do:

Now try to build something cool.. its an example of how to use jQuery in RS Web (without guarantee, but it works for now!)

swort, I was referring to the fact that one can't edit one's own post NOT *this* from in terms of the members. This community is great.

Sorry if this was misunderstood. I'll try to be more clear the next time around.

Thanks for the link, that looks useful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:44 pm 

realwebnerd wrote:
swort wrote:
realwebnerd wrote:

swort, I was referring to the fact that one can't edit one's own post NOT *this* from in terms of the members. This community is great.

Sorry if this was misunderstood. I'll try to be more clear the next time around.

Thanks for the link, that looks useful.

I know that you did not meant the "people on the forums". The edit button is missing some times, but not everytime! (dont know why shoud be some php madness)

- Plugins (MBS Complete, ToringoLib, Einhugur, VanHoek + Some open source plugins)
For Dutch User Groups ask me to enter!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:49 pm 

ah ok.. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:28 am 

It's official. It is in fact an issue with my server.

I installed the same files on a test server and it started working. I was so ecstatic when I saw it appear up on screen that I yelled out a victory holldar [pounding my chest and yelling "I am programmer, hear me roar!"]. The only caveat is that it's not a production server so I really can't use it to serve files publicly. But at least I know it works!

For now, it buys me time to troubleshoot the server in question. I will share my findings and techniques so no one else has to go through this situation. I know where all the potholes are...lol...

Great help from the community and the speedy replies from RealSoftware make me *hearts* this place. Thank you everyone. This is a tiny victory for me and I appreciate those who e-mailed me with some help.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:51 am 

I just fought with this issue today. No matter what I tried, I got the "Unable to launch application on port {port}: Permission denied" error realwebnerd was getting. I don't know if this is what you guys ran into or not, but after what seemed like forever, I got mine to work by compiling the cgi app for linux. This made me want to kick myself after using the mac compile on my linux server this whole time. Although when i got it to run, I received the same AJAX issue mskuma got and i think it crashed my remote server. Anyway, I hope this helps someone.

On a side note, with all my files set to 755, I got a message stating the config file could not be written to. After changing the config.cfg to 775, the application opened properly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next