Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:09 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: I need a Real Web deployment example
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:30 pm 

Thanks Bob, great answers.

Quote:
Are you on a commercial host, an internal server? Mac, Windows, or Linux?

I have a dedicated Linux server. I opened up a few ports and it looks like it is trying to launch. So it's getting close. That is a much more productive error vs. what I was getting before.

Quote:
All of our subscription WE training videos have a project file associated with them that you are free to use. These are all running (some with some minor modifications) on our web server.

I went back to your site and it was offline. I'll check out the sample provided.

My frustration is I know that it does work as there are several here that are running RW and so I am asking, "'Why can't I?" *sniff*.

This one has me completely baffled.

@J.Sh3ppard, sorry I missed your post. I appreciate the suggestion. I do have it working locally so it give me some comfort that it is something that I'm doing wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:32 pm 

I don't know if this helps any in your case. Last night I decided to try WE on my Linux VPS (Ubunut 9.10) and had a few problems to begin with. Looking at the error log I discovered libpng, libjpeg and libcurl had to be installed. Once I installed those libraries everything seemed to run just fine. I always get an error with IE... hit refresh and it works. WE is looking better to me all the time, but I am kind of wondering how to generate professional looking reports. I am in no hurry to get started with it anyway. I added a link below to my server. I don't know how long I will have it on there. Good Luck.

http://www.harris-dev.com/cgi-bin/myapplication.cgi/page1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:40 pm 

jharris wrote:
I don't know if this helps any in your case. Last night I decided to try WE on my Linux VPS (Ubunut 9.10) and had a few problems to begin with. Looking at the error log I discovered libpng, libjpeg and libcurl had to be installed. Once I installed those libraries everything seemed to run just fine. I always get an error with IE... hit refresh and it works. WE is looking better to me all the time, but I am kind of wondering how to generate professional looking reports. I am in no hurry to get started with it anyway. I added a link below to my server. I don't know how long I will have it on there. Good Luck.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that.

Today, I'm carefully poking around my server to see what settings might be contributing to the issue I am having.

Question for RealSoftware - Do you have a server requirements docs that specifies the minimal configuration?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:33 pm 

realwebnerd wrote:
jharris wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that.

Today, I'm carefully poking around my server to see what settings might be contributing to the issue I am having.

Question for RealSoftware - Do you have a server requirements docs that specifies the minimal configuration?

Your link should be: http://www.harris-dev.com/cgi-bin/myapplication.cgi/
because your session has dropped or something, it does not accept the page1 you posted.
i got internal server error 500, after removing /page1 it was working..;)

- Plugins (MBS Complete, ToringoLib, Einhugur, VanHoek + Some open source plugins)
For Dutch User Groups ask me to enter!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:55 pm 

Yes, Thanks swort. I was in a hurry and did a quick copy/paste not thinking about the Page1.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:27 pm 

@jharris,

I saw the example. Something I can only aspire to at this time.

I am going to send RS an e-mail asking what the servers specs should be. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:48 am 

realwebnerd wrote:
I just downloaded the most recent version of RS. Namely, Real Studio 2011 Release 1.

You aren't using a demo version are you?

What I would do next is make a standard cgi application which simply outputs the basic requirements and get that working locally, then on your remote server.

A simple cgi app (not WE) should be easy to make. I may have one you can test with.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:01 am 

J.Sh3ppard wrote:

You aren't using a demo version are you?

What I would do next is make a standard cgi application which simply outputs the basic requirements and get that working locally, then on your remote server.

A simple cgi app (not WE) should be easy to make. I may have one you can test with.

I have the full Enterprise version.

I am guessing it is a server issue so I have sent Real Software a request for the minimum server requirements. It's been a long week and it would've been great to get this running on my server.

This is a great community and I appreciate the help. Once I get this figured out I can usually get on with the rest of the work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:28 am 

I think you were on the right track earlier realwebnerd... The connection refused message is a firewall block (at least in my experience). I had my server admins open the firewall port for the one first selected by my application (e.g., port 43210 ) and that message no longer occurred.

Brad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:34 am 

I'm also trying WE trial (Enterprise). I can't get a simple 'hello world' CGI to run (app with just a text label). I've tried a linux host & my Windows PC running Abyss web server + Perl. I get the Error 500. The WE manual is not much help to debug this, so I turned to the Abyss log & found "Bad CGI header line". I'm wondering if anyone has got a CGI web app running? If so did they have to modify the CGI file. It seems that "Bad CGI header line" is due to a lack of content-header, e.g. print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n" is needed. I'm a bit bleary-eyed, but looking at the generated cgi file I can see a content header emitted for the fast-cgi case but perhaps not for the CGI case. Is this an issue?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:58 am 

When using the TRIAL you cannot deploy, just use debugrun and test.
Also make sure the firwall is not blocking, if you have vista or win 7 you need to wait for the "confirm box".

- Plugins (MBS Complete, ToringoLib, Einhugur, VanHoek + Some open source plugins)
For Dutch User Groups ask me to enter!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:14 pm 

mskuma wrote:
I'm also trying WE trial (Enterprise). I can't get a simple 'hello world' CGI to run (app with just a text label). I've tried a linux host & my Windows PC running Abyss web server + Perl. I get the Error 500. The WE manual is not much help to debug this, so I turned to the Abyss log & found "Bad CGI header line". I'm wondering if anyone has got a CGI web app running? If so did they have to modify the CGI file. It seems that "Bad CGI header line" is due to a lack of content-header, e.g. print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n" is needed. I'm a bit bleary-eyed, but looking at the generated cgi file I can see a content header emitted for the fast-cgi case but perhaps not for the CGI case. Is this an issue?

Both in trial and paid mode, I've gotten a WE to run locally.

The issue for me is to try to get it to run on my web server. I've requested a server specs/config from RealSoftware. In my case, I don't believe it's the WE product at all but it has everything to do with my server set up as was the case when I was dealing with the FastCGI issue as well.

If you are running a local server, try running WAMP for PC or MAMP for Mac.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:21 pm 

With 2011R1 you don't have to set up FastCGI if you don't want to... You should be able to run the cgi app on a standard web server once you get the permissions (and any firewall) issues worked out.

I have successfully run the standard CGI build. You do need to go through several steps to install some PERL modules if you decide to tackle the FastCGI, though. So it is best to get the standard CGI running first...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:48 pm 

Brad wrote:
With 2011R1 you don't have to set up FastCGI if you don't want to... You should be able to run the cgi app on a standard web server once you get the permissions (and any firewall) issues worked out.

I have successfully run the standard CGI build. You do need to go through several steps to install some PERL modules if you decide to tackle the FastCGI, though. So it is best to get the standard CGI running first...

Thank for the input, I appreciate it. Well it's good to know it's working for you, but mine (**sniff**) not to be at this time.

I do understand that FastCGI is not required and that CGI is now the apparent preferred method of deployment as it would appear more hosts will support it.

At this time, I am attempting to troubleshoot why the WE file was not running on my server. Through course of this thread and past few days, it is my observation that it has nothing to do with my WE file set up but rather the server configuraiton. There are several shared objects that are included with a deployment folder when generating a WE app. I need to know what other dependencies are required on the server side.

I believe this is not a WE problem but rather a server set-up problem WE runs fine on other servers, why not mine. That is what I am trying to figure out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:49 pm 

Confounded forum!

I can't edit me posts...lol...

For goodness sake Thom, please take us out of this 90's forum and onto 2011 :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next