Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:34 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is WE the Proper Web App Tool to Use?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:00 pm 

Hello. Thanks in advance to all who chime in on this topic. Sorry for the long post.

I am contemplating starting a project that would involve developing a large, complex hosted web application for a vertical market. In a best case scenario in 5 years there would be a few thousand users hammering away constantly on an app with dozens of different screens, doing queries and transactions on databases with potentially hundreds of thousands of records. Postgresql would act as the database backend.

The initial version of the app would be initially deployed about a year from now, adding another year to fine tune and complete the feature set.

Some of the big players in this market are using .net hosted apps. I'm leaning toward this simply because others have shown that it works. There are a lot of developers who know it, and a lot of tools available. In the event I wanted to sell the company, having the product based on a widely accepted platform would be beneficial.

However, I would be the one doing the initial development. In the past I have used Realbasic to make some desktop applications and utilities, although I have not programmed in several years. So I'm looking at what is available:

MS .net: Widely accepted. Big, complex. It would take a while to get started. Must develop on Windows. I prefer the Mac, but I used Windows most of my life.

Ruby/Python/PHP etc: I see these platforms as an ever-changing technological obstacle course. This approach is entirely unappealing for the level of complexity my app will entail.

Apple Webobjects: Hello, is this thing on?? Anybody home?

Real Web Edition: Relatively familiar, efficient environment. I can develop using the mac. I like the language. On the downside, it is a currently immature tool from a small company.

Is using WE so much faster than .net that it outweighs the negatives?

Under what conditions should one be used over the other?

Is webobjects totally dead for non - apple use, or is there a new version in the works?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Is WE the Proper Web App Tool to Use?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:20 am 

WE is definitely not ready for prime time at this point. The fact that you have a year until you need to deploy gives you time to see whether WE is up to the job. I think you definitely might want to look into PHP as your development language. There is where most web development is centered. There are thousands of open-source projects that you can draw guidance from, and even many that have licenses that will permit you to re-use their technology in a commercial product. Also, there is an abundance of php developers -- if you need to hire assistance you can find extremely qualified help very inexpensively on elance.com.
Most importantly, php is a mature, stable, and reliable platform on which to develop. And if you want the protection of being able to have compiled code (which WE offers but not .NET) there are compilers for PHP that turn your code into optimized C++ or you can use the Zend tools that protect your code.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:50 am 

Well, this depends heavily on which version you have.

RS 2010r5 was running quite well, so we could build a couple of demonstration applications.
With RS 2010r5.1 we got a few bugs fixed, but also new bugs. So I did not use it.
But with RS 2011r1 betas they fixed tons of bugs, so currently we use a web app with a client. RS 2011r1b3 is quite stable for this.

Greetings
Christian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:00 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I think I have to agree with lacoder. From what I've been reading, there are significant issues, not the least of which are the problems with fastcgi. I am not bashing on WE at all. It's a young product and is going to have growing pains. That is to be expected. This project places a high demand on robustness and stability, so a mature platform makes more sense. Webobjects development with Eclipse and WOlips looks like a possibility. It's been a long while since I wrote any java but I think I can do it. Some of the busiest web apps in the world run on WO. I figured that WO was dead after Apple removed it from xcode, but it seems to be alive and well (relatively speaking) in open source land. I think Apple was doing it a favor by cutting it loose, as they still appear to be actively involved.

I am going to keep an eye on WE. It looks like a really cool tool.