Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:14 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: WE running on Shared Host, or cheapest Host [list]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

PrietoM wrote:
Does FastCGI Host provides step-by step instructions on how to get a WE application working??
How difficult is it to get it working.

I imagine if these issues are taken care many including myself will not hesitate in obtaining an account with FASTCGIHOST.

When I tested FastCGIHost for my article in REAL Studio Developer Magazine, it was a simple process:

1. Specify that you want to use FastCGI in the config panel
2. Copy your webapp to the site using FTP
3. In your browser, navigate to the location of your web app

It is, by far, the easiest way to get up and running with REAL Studio Web apps.

PrietoM wrote:
I sure hope in the next release of Real Studio they can fix many of the issues on deployment.

There are not really any deployment "issues". There are just very specific deployment requirements. Unfortunately most shared hosting providers are not set up to meet the requirements of REAL Studio any more than they are set up to handle Java or Mono.

Personally, I'm using a VPS.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:15 am 

PrietoM wrote:
Does FastCGI Host provides step-by step instructions on how to get a WE application working??
How difficult is it to get it working.

I imagine if these issues are taken care many including myself will not hesitate in obtaining an account with FASTCGIHOST.

I sure hope in the next release of Real Studio they can fix many of the issues on deployment.

Just ask me or email the support, they are very helpfull to me.. Its pretty simple.. Im using it for my site http://www.openbuster.com/ There is nothing placed, but there will be soon.

FTP, DNS, IP, Email its all very easy to use. (simpler than plesk and others.) it uses ISPconfig.

- Plugins (MBS Complete, ToringoLib, Einhugur, VanHoek + Some open source plugins)
For Dutch User Groups ask me to enter!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:20 pm 

Hi All,

I have been a RB/RS developer since about 2002, and recently moved to also developing a Web edition app.

Meanwhile, I moved my shared hosting server (I host web sites for various clients), to a VPS with FastCGI. I have hosting packages available for Real Studio App developers.

(I currently have the server accounts set up with a fcgi-bin directory. To run a web app, you simply upload your file, set file permissions, then point your browser at the new app.)

If you are interested, you can find more details at: http://juicedhost.com

Brad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 pm 

is FastCGI dead?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:34 pm 

We run 4 separate sites on one Mac mini at http://www.macmincolo.net

Its more expensive than shared hosting, but I have a man mini that I test on. If I get it working in my office I know it will work in 'the wild'.

When things go wonky I can simply VNC in and work it out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:35 pm 

JohnV wrote:

Its more expensive than shared hosting, but I have a man mini that I test on. If I get it working in my office I know it will work in 'the wild'.

How many WE apps would you say the mac mini can handle running at the same time?

I know that may be hard question to accurately answer because the work load will vary how many could properly run but please give a good guess for reasonably popular WE apps.

Is it a fairly new mini and what CPU?
How much ram?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:46 pm 

bob_barr wrote:
Carharttguy wrote:
Forget shared hosting, go for VPS or dedicated.

Why would you suggest that?

IMHO, VPS and dedicated hosting, with their higher costs, are solutions to move up to once your sites have exceeded the capabilities of a shared hosting account.

In my experience, the latency with shared hosting is too high for heavy AJAX apps, and WE is all AJAX. Now naturally I haven't tested every single shared host on the planet, and there may be some that are usable for WE. But I recommend a VPS for any serious WE use.

As for CPU spiking with WE: aside from your own code causing this, I've only seen this with WE CGI on a system that did not have mod_perl installed and was therefore launching a Perl process for every CGI request.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:29 pm 

J.Sh3ppard wrote:
JohnV wrote:

How many WE apps would you say the mac mini can handle running at the same time?

I know that may be hard question to accurately answer because the work load will vary how many could properly run but please give a good guess for reasonably popular WE apps.

Is it a fairly new mini and what CPU?
How much ram?

2.5 GHZ intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz DDR3
OSX 10.7.5

Our applications typically sit at 1 to 3 % CPU, 40 to 80 Megs of Real Memory and 20 to 60 Megs of Private Memory. They do spike for a few second when we have a heavy database hit. Occasionally they will jam up at 100% and the next process has to wait a second or three.

Our executables are pretty big, but not giant 28 -40 Megs each

We use mySQL running on the same machine for all of them Largest tables are 1 million records.
We call my DB.SQLselect in 1406 places in the main app

270 megs of "Files" that are uploaded and do loaded

We use MBS PDF plugin to produce lots of documents and store them in the file system.

We also have a "cron" desktop Realstudio app that runs tasks every minute, every hour and every day.

Our only real issue is the native listbox is a real turtle.

If you call / tweet /IM Brian over at Macmini Im sure he will give you a "trial period" in exchange for reporting your results here...

BTW They probably have no clue what we are running. Its my CPU and they don't care as long as its legal . (SPAM is illegal)

Our user numbers are pretty small. 8 Employees on it all day long and a few hundred customers.

We did some testing of a Web app on this very platform that did big SQL queries every 1/2 second. We opened up a few dozen sessions and it was fine.
We did the same test on a Rackspace cloud account and saw slightly better performance, but nothing that was worth the pain of moving.

In my mind 1000 user can waste a few seconds each instead of me wasting 8 hours on a deployment problem.

WE tried running under CGI (and some static content still gets served up by apache) and we had "the spiking issues". We now run stand alone apps on different ports. We have a tiny CGI app that simply takes in the incoming traffic and redirects it to the various apps/ports.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:05 pm 

If anybody wants to try shared hosting, I have been providing that option since the early versions of RS Web Apps. I'll be glad to set up a test account for free to allow you to try your hand at deployment in a shared environment. I will delete the account unless it is converted into a full account.

I am listed here: http://docs.realsoftware.com/index.php/Linux_Hosting_Providers

Brad
juicedhost.com