Real Software Forums
http://forums.realsoftware.com/

Subversion Experience using RBVCP Formats
http://forums.realsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=47814
Page 1 of 1

Author:  mikecotrone [ Tue May 07, 2013 1:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Subversion Experience using RBVCP Formats

Hi all,

I wanted to poll those of you that have been using SVN with Real Studio. I have built an SVN VM on my server and a repository for testing. I wanted to see what your real life experience has brought to you for code version control. Knowing that the Real Studio IDE doesn't have a native client built in I am wondering if using the RBVCP format is wise to do.

Any advice is appreciated as my main goal is to use version control with a minimal level of effort that goes into SVN operations with Real Studio. :)

Also I am focused on Desktop Applications right now vs. Web or Console.

Thank you

Author:  npalardy [ Tue May 07, 2013 2:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Subversion Experience using RBVCP Formats

We use SVN extensively for the IDE itself
Works well for us

Author:  Bob Keeney [ Tue May 07, 2013 4:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Subversion Experience using RBVCP Formats

We use Subversion as well and have for the past 7 or 8 years. The only real issue is with encrypted code. I know some have had issues with external objects shared amongst multiple projects but we don't have that particular problem.

At the developer conference a lot of people were talking about the many advantages of git. Sounds impressive but there seems to be a learning curve to it. Other than that I don't know much about it.

Author:  mikecotrone [ Tue May 07, 2013 4:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Subversion Experience using RBVCP Formats

npalardy wrote:
We use SVN extensively for the IDE itself
Works well for us


Norman do you use command line to check in / check out your code from your project repository? When you say "For the IDE iteself" I am assuming using the RBVCP format? I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything in IDE for SVN.

Thanks again!

Author:  npalardy [ Tue May 07, 2013 5:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Subversion Experience using RBVCP Formats

mikecotrone wrote:
npalardy wrote:
We use SVN extensively for the IDE itself
Works well for us


Norman do you use command line to check in / check out your code from your project repository? When you say "For the IDE iteself" I am assuming using the RBVCP format? I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything in IDE for SVN.

Thanks again!

Yes we use VCP format for the IDE

Some of our team use SVN at the cmd line
Some use one of several GUI tools on any one of Mac OS X, Linux & / or Windows

There is nothing integrated into the IDE for svn, git etc

Author:  Akiland [ Tue May 07, 2013 11:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Subversion Experience using RBVCP Formats

We use Cornerstone for Mac and rbvcp.
Works like a charm :)

There's also an app called Versions for Mac, just havnt tried it :)

Author:  mikecotrone [ Wed May 08, 2013 8:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Subversion Experience using RBVCP Formats

Akiland wrote:
We use Cornerstone for Mac and rbvcp.
Works like a charm :)

There's also an app called Versions for Mac, just havnt tried it :)


Cool, I downloaded Cornerstone2 last night and it is very nice so far. I tried Versions and like Cornerstone's feel better so far.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/