Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:28 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: PDF Text extraction
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:46 pm 

Extracting text from PDFs is a difficult thing to do in RealBasic. I know there are some plugins available that offer PDF text extraction, but they are very expensive. Therefore I have created a small example using the PDFBox project in RealBasic. PDFBox is an Apache project written in Java and therefore, just like RB, cross platform.
Have a look at my sample here: http://www.magicforreal.com/home/playin ... l-and-pdf/
I know the sample can be greatly improved. This is something I plan to do in the not so immediate future. However, I will post new updates in this topic if anyone is interested.

Post subject: Re: PDF Text extraction
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:47 pm 

gerrut wrote:
Extracting text from PDFs is a difficult thing to do in RealBasic. I know there are some plugins available that offer PDF text extraction, but they are very expensive. Therefore I have created a small example using the PDFBox project in RealBasic. PDFBox is an Apache project written in Java and therefore, just like RB, cross platform.
Have a look at my sample here: http://www.magicforreal.com/home/playin ... l-and-pdf/
I know the sample can be greatly improved. This is something I plan to do in the not so immediate future. However, I will post new updates in this topic if anyone is interested.

definitely interested. Currently to do this there is a commandline pdf-txt/doc free cross-platform extractor which can only be used in rb by creating a new shell and calling it by shell.execute("pdftotxt nameoffile.pdf extractfile.txt") :-)

Visit Xojo Developer's Spot!
Systems I Use:
Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008 r2/Windows 7/Windows 8
Mac OSX 10.5/Mac OSX 10.6/Mac OSX Server/Ubuntu/Debian/Suse/Red Hat/
Windows Server 2011/CentOS 5.4 /ReactOS/SimOS

~All Xojo Compatible~

Post subject: Re: PDF Text extraction
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:36 am 

Well actually this is a java app running in the shell as well. But it is open source and may be implemented in commercial projects. And it has quite a lot of options for dissecting pdfs.
Eventually it would be nice if we could rewrite some of the Java code to RB-code and make the external app unnecessary. However the main problem with pdfs is the many programs that create sloppy (off-spec) pdfs and the different types of encoding. In RealBasic there are no build-in ways to do some Flat-e decoding.