Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:38 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Get a FREE Comodo Code Signing Certificate - $179 value
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:26 am 

Hi guys,

I'm happy to announce that I've found a great way to get for FREE a valid Comodo Code Signing certificate, valid for 1 year!

First of all, you have to be a registered Intel AppUp developer. In case you aren't, registration is FREE for a limited time so hurry up and register at: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/userhome

Step 2: after you register, log-in to your newly created user account, go to "My Dashboard" and on the right side of the page you will see a menu link "Apply for code signing certificate". Click on that link and follow the instructions.

Make sure you use real and valid personal information's or Comodo will not approve your certificate. Anyway, you will get all the required information's by email.

Good luck guys/gals!

Post subject: Re: Get a FREE Comodo Code Signing Certificate - $179 value
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:57 am 

I submitted real and valid information but Comodo didn't accept it and asked for some additional documentation that I can't provide. They could easily verify my LLC but have made no effort to do so and stopped answering my messages. Not very professional. I didn't like Comodo's service back when I had an SSL certificate from them and it looks like they haven't changed.

Update:
It's been four days since I first applied for the free Comodo certificate through Intel and still no certificate. I've submitted copies of the following documents to Comodo thus far:

Business registration
Drivers License
Passport
Two different telephone bills
Two different bank statements
Previous validation confirmation from Comodo for an SSL certificate

In addition, they asked me to change the registrant information for one of my domains from my company name to my personal name but have not responded to my requests for an explanation as to why that is necessary for a code signing certificate.

Update:
It's now been five days and still no certificate, but they did get back to me regarding the domain name and said it is not necessary to change the registrant information for a code signing certificate.

Update:
It's now day six and still no certificate. According to the latest correspondence I received from Comodo, you must pay your own utility bills in order to be deemed trustworthy enough to get a code signing certificate. If your address of record is a place where the utilities are included in the monthly rent, or the utilities are paid by a spouse, partner or other third party, you can't be trusted with a code signing certificate.

http://www.capaho.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:41 pm 

BuGs wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm happy to announce that I've found a great way to get for FREE a valid Comodo Code Signing certificate, valid for 1 year!

First of all, you have to be a registered Intel AppUp developer. In case you aren't, registration is FREE for a limited time so hurry up and register at: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/userhome

Step 2: after you register, log-in to your newly created user account, go to "My Dashboard" and on the right side of the page you will see a menu link "Apply for code signing certificate". Click on that link and follow the instructions.

Make sure you use real and valid personal information's or Comodo will not approve your certificate. Anyway, you will get all the required information's by email.

Good luck guys/gals!

Did you actually get one of these certificates? Was it a hassle? I'm on day seven and still no certificate. Comodo's verification process is abusive, discriminatory and inept.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:55 am 

Hi Capaho,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties getting your free certificate.

To answer your question, yes I got my certificate 2 days latter after the request was made, although I didn't applied as a business. The papers they needed from me we're:
- copy of passport or any other valid ID
- recent bank statement (to verify my address)
- recent phone bill (with my name and my telephone number on it) <- they called me at this number after I've sent all the papers to verify that I'm asnwering. After I got the call from them, they sent me the certificate in less than 1 hour.

You could try and ask them to change the registration type from business to personal or something like that, because from what you're saying they are more strict when issuing certificates for businesses.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:22 pm 

BuGs wrote:
Hi Capaho,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties getting your free certificate.

To answer your question, yes I got my certificate 2 days latter after the request was made, although I didn't applied as a business. The papers they needed from me we're:
- copy of passport or any other valid ID
- recent bank statement (to verify my address)
- recent phone bill (with my name and my telephone number on it) <- they called me at this number after I've sent all the papers to verify that I'm asnwering. After I got the call from them, they sent me the certificate in less than 1 hour.

You could try and ask them to change the registration type from business to personal or something like that, because from what you're saying they are more strict when issuing certificates for businesses.

Hope this helps.

My problem is that I divide my time between two countries. I have a legal business entity in one and both a business and a residence in the other. In both places I rent facilities where the utilities are included and I use cell phones and IP telephones, I haven't had a landline telephone in years. I applied first under my business name and later as an individual. I've had at least a dozen exchanges with people who keep asking for documentation that I have told them repeatedly I don't have, as if no one bothers to read any of the previous correspondence before replying to a message, and requests for alternative forms of verification have largely gone ignored. They are trying to service a leading edge industry with the mindset of a 1980s era credit agency.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:33 am 

I am happy to report that after eight days, 47 messages and a phone call I have finally received the code signing certificate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:00 am 

@capaho: That's great! Congrats.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:01 pm 

capaho, what documents did you use to finally get that certificate? Thanks.