Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:26 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Running REAL Studio from a USB stick [HOWTO]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:28 pm 

This isn't a question; it's a how-to.

I've made a semi-portable version of REAL Studio; you can run it from a USB stick, and it'll save your settings, etc., but it's not completely portable because it uses Internet Explorer for Internet connectivity. I've instructed the launcher to clean up as much of the Internet mess as possible, but don't be surprised if something gets left behind; the same holds for the Feedback app.
You can uninstall REAL Studio Portable by deleting the folder you "install" it to.

Legal stuff: This is a wrapper for REAL Studio and its Feedback app. REAL Studio isn't included, nor is its feedback app; don't ask me to include them, as it would be illegal.
Also, I have obtained REAL Software's permission to do this:
Quote:
It doesn't look like it violates our license agreement.

Enough talking from me; it's time to get started!

1. Download my wrapper from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3640070/REALStudio_2010r1_Development_Test_1.paf.exe and install it to a folder of your choice.
2. Install REAL Studio (alternatively, you can install it into Sandboxie; just get the trial version) and its Feedback app.
3. Copy the REAL Studio files into App\REALStudio - make sure the REAL Studio executable is named REALStudio.exe. There should be nothing else in the filename.
At this point, your folder structure should look like this:
REALStudioPortable
-----App
----------REALStudio
---------------REALStudio.exe
---------------(REAL Studio's supporting folders here)
----------Feedback [empty folder]
-----Data [empty folder]
-----Other [leave this folder alone, unless you're interested in seeing the source code]

4. Copy the Feedback files into App\Feedback - make sure the Feedback executable is named Feedback.exe. There should be nothing else in the filename.
At this point, your file structure should look like this:
REALStudioPortable
-----REALStudioPortable.exe
-----FeedbackPortable.exe
-----App
----------REALStudio
---------------REALStudio.exe
---------------(REAL Studio's supporting folders go here)
----------Feedback
---------------Feedback.exe
---------------(Feedback's supporting folder go here)
-----Data [empty folder]
-----Other [leave this folder alone, unless you're interested in seeing the source code]

5. Uninstall REAL Studio & Feedback (if you used Sandboxie, just empty the sandbox)

6. Run REALStudioPortable.exe and/or FeedbackPortable.exe, and go get some work done! :P

Notes:
* REAL Studio Portable will temporarily take over the REAL Studio files & Registry entries from REAL Studio (installed); it won't take over file associations, though, so double-clicking a RBP file will still use the locally-installed copy (that shouldn't be a problem, though; see below). I'll probably put out a second release to fix this later on.
* If you open REAL Studio (regardless of whether it's the portable version or the locally-installed version) while REAL Studio Portable is running, the wrapper will force REAL Studio to use the portable version's files & Registry entries.
* REAL Studio Portable won't permanently take things over; just close all instances of REAL Studio and the portable version will return everything to its previous state.
* You'll probably need to re-register your version of REAL Studio, since REAL Studio Portable temporarily moves any locally-installed files & Registry entries, including license information.
* You can use the Feedback toolbar item from within REAL Studio Portable - REAL Studio Portable also takes over the Registry entries REAL Studio uses to find the Feedback app, and redirects those entries to point to FeedbackPortable.exe.
* As I mentioned above, since both REAL Studio and Feedback use Internet Explorer to connect to the Internet, some traces might be left; I've had the launcher clean up as much as possible, but I can't guarantee complete portability. All your settings will come with you, though; the only things that could be left behind are temporary Internet files.

Let me know what you think!

Post subject: Re: Running REAL Studio from a USB stick [HOWTO]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:59 am 

2010-03-18
Updated to Development Test 2.

Get the latest version here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3640070/REALStudioPortable_2010r1_Development_Test_2.paf.exe

Release notes:
  • Plugins folder is now properly backed up so it isn't overwritten when you install the latest version of REAL Studio Portable
  • Upgraded to the latest version of the PortableApps.com Launcher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:07 am 

Hopefully this doesn't violate the agreement. I did something similar in 2006, and when I contacted someone at RS about distributing the method, they informed that it would violate the license agreement.

It is possible that things have changed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:25 pm 

agcyphers wrote:
Hopefully this doesn't violate the agreement. I did something similar in 2006, and when I contacted someone at RS about distributing the method, they informed that it would violate the license agreement.

It is possible that things have changed.

No, I talked to REAL Software before I even began writing the launcher, and they said "it's probably OK."
Once I finished the launcher, I sent it to them for approval before posting it here; permission was granted, so it's all OK unless RS says otherwise.

Development Test 2 does have some problems, so I recommend switching back to Dev Test 1 until I can get those ironed out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:24 pm 

Excellent! I'm glad you did your homework. At the time I had everything perfected before contacting them. Ugh. Hindsight is 20/20.

I'll try to test out your week this coming week. I'd like to see how you've accomplished it.