Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:03 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: [ANN]: Studio Stable Web Essentials
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:45 am 

Fellow Web Edition Developers,

I'm happy to announce Studio Stable Web Essentials, a growing collection of stuff that will make your Web Edition applications simpler and prettier. This is stuff I'm using in products like Vecite Files.

The highlights of the first release are the the WESegmentedControl and WECheckbox. You can see a quick demo of these here, running both stand-alone and CGI builds for a performance comparison.

http://www.studiostable.com/web-essenti ... onstration

If you've tried using WebSegmentedControl for page navigation, you know about pain. Our WESegmentedControl has several selection modes, including one called "snapback" that's perfect for page navigation.

Our WECheckbox can display for left and right checkboxes, in colors that will match your interface scheme. We never liked WebRadioGroup. So we adapted our WECheckbox to optionally show radio buttons and automatically handle other buttons in its group. You set the group of a WECheckbox with a simple identifier string in its properties, or leave it blank for regular checkbox behavior.

Introductory pricing is a steal at $29.95. This gets you updates for a year as we roll more into Web Essentials. And we're throwing in our Studio Stable Graphics plugin with Web Essentials as well. All REALbasic source code is included so you can learn, modify, debug, and play. Source is not included for the Studio Stable Graphics plugin. Our source code license should be workable for most commercial and hobbyist developers. Just don't share our source, and we're good. Main product page here:

http://www.studiostable.com/web-essentials

Enjoy!

-Brad
--
Brad Hutchings
Hutchings Software

Post subject: Re: [ANN]: Studio Stable Web Essentials
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:15 pm 

Maybe you should have submitted to RS for putting this in the Announcements part of the forums?

I'm still confused on what you are offering....cannot this be done in WE?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:58 pm 

Yeah, I probably should have just stuck to the NUG where we trade announcements like it's a competitive sport :D. Web Essentials is a growing collection of source code for nifty Web Edition things. I'm pretty sure that if you value your time at anything above $5, you'll come out ahead on the snapback segment control behavior alone. You don't even want to know how much I billed a client trying to figure that out. Plus, it's marginally prettier that the built-in one. But, YMMV.

Another thing I plan to roll in soon is a Listbox with clickable headers. Works great, but it needs some polish for reuse. And that's the real advantage of the Club model. You buy for a year, and get more stuff as I add it. Full source for everything too*.

-Brad

(*) except the graphics plugin, which you get in binary form and isn't used at all in stuff that's currently in Web Essentials.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:11 pm 

Didnt mean the NUG...isnt there an announcment place on theses forums?

OK well maybe my lack of developing in WE was wrong of me asking

I will watch and see what your classes bring to development :)

and as a side note....Yes my time is valuable but so is my time in learning and gaining knowledge
So If I can figure out how to myself I will otherwise (for me) makes the journey useless

*not a profession developer......My remarks are from a "hobbyist Developer"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:44 pm 

I get where you're coming from. And again, with Web Edition, (most) all code involved is HTML, CSS, JavaScript, or REALbasic, so there isn't much mystery that can be hidden in a plugin. There aren't declares that require special platform juju. Most everything really is visual and easy... until you run into limits and conundrums. You can best think of the value of Web Essentials as having dealt with the problematic stuff.

Here's an example... In development and testing of my projects that spawned these controls, I'd noticed some sluggishness with Safari on the iPad and Chrome on Android. We could tell our mobile users to pick up Android tablets and install Firefox for the particular apps. Easy workaround. So yesterday morning, I got an email from another developer who liked the looks of things but needed it to run on iPad for his particular application. Knowing that I actually have customers for this stuff, and that some would have such hard requirements, I could invest the time in finding a solution. After a very long day of trial and error and dead ends, I found one which is (a) far from obvious, (b) is elegant and easy to understand, and (c) doesn't violate any "rules" in letter or spirit. I've packaged it in a reusable way so it can solve similar problems in the future. Full source included, of course. Anywhere, those edges are where you're going to get the most value out of source code clubs like Web Essentials.

As to where announcements go... If the mods think this is misplaced or inappropriate, they can move or delete it ;-). Admittedly, I don't play here much, so I may have committed an epic party foul in posting this. Line and learn...

-Brad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:00 pm 

It isnt in any "violation" and never meant you did something wrong
Besides RS right now "I don't think" cares where thier promo comes from

Wish you the best of luck with your classes for WE :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:21 pm 

I get a thrill every time I see someone come up with commercial plugins and/or classes. Anything that makes developing apps faster is welcomed! Personally I believe RS should be encouraging and helping developers to come up with plugins and classes, which I could bet they already do.

I love RS and I'm very excited about using it for my development projects as soon as I'm able to get back to work, typing one handed on an iPad is one thing but actually working is just a pain, literaly :mrgreen:

Anyway, back on topic. I believe that there are many developers that don't reach out for RS when developing a project because of the lack of 3rd party controls that could save them developing time. More 3rd party controls more users better product. Win, win, win.

So congratulations on your classes, I will be purchasing as soon as I get back to being able to work in around a week.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:29 pm 

HMARROQUINC wrote:
I get a thrill every time I see someone come up with commercial plugins and/or classes. Anything that makes developing apps faster is welcomed! Personally I believe RS should be encouraging and helping developers to come up with plugins and classes, which I could bet they already do.

I love RS and I'm very excited about using it for my development projects as soon as I'm able to get back to work, typing one handed on an iPad is one thing but actually working is just a pain, literaly :mrgreen:

Anyway, back on topic. I believe that there are many developers that don't reach out for RS when developing a project because of the lack of 3rd party controls that could save them developing time. More 3rd party controls more users better product. Win, win, win.

So congratulations on your classes, I will be purchasing as soon as I get back to being able to work in around a week.

but still your opinion

many would dissagree as for needing paid 3rd party plugin/classes

But yes I also wish you the best of luck on your classes for WE :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:00 pm 

Yes, it's only my opinion. But having spent quite a few years in the VB & Delphi communities I strongly believe in what I'm saying.

For example:

Case A: I needed some functionality out of a listbox that isn't supported out of the box, my options are: a) learn a LOT and code a LOT or b) Purchase the work done by Karen (at a good price by the way in my opinion). As soon as I get back to work I'll go with option "b". A month of my time is well worth over $150.

Case B: Start learning about how to write PDF files or purchase Cristian's plugin?

Of course there are developers who would rather keep everything under control and have the skill and/or time to roll up their own solutions. More power for them.

Don't underestimate the appeal that 3rd party controls have for many.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:26 am 

Once you develop a class/control yourself, you can use it faster than any other control.
If you buy one, it's true that you have to look into that documentation to get used to it's functions.

One way or another you can get what you want, but you should choose the quickest and easiest way to get there.
As it's mostly the quicker things are done and the more you -as developer- understand the code, the better the end product.

- Plugins (MBS Complete, ToringoLib, Einhugur, VanHoek + Some open source plugins)
For Dutch User Groups ask me to enter!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:54 am 

Don't want to get into a debate about using or not using 3rd party solutions, I think there is no right or wrong just developer and customer preferences, time lines and budgets that need to be met.

And yes, experience does make one a better and faster developer BUT the people developing 3rd party solutions are probably also good (better?) developers.

Also I see that most 3rd party solutions for RS offer the source code at a price, you save time and get the code so you can mantain it.

Anyway.... Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:52 pm 

Bosco,
you should still send a marketing request to RS about your plugin so that they announce it on the forums(and NUG)
That will get you better exposure for your plugin

and yes no reason to get into a debate about plugins, it's a personal choice

I do respect the people who extend RS by plugins....no disrespect intended at all

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:42 pm 

briman wrote:
Bosco,
you should still send a marketing request to RS about your plugin so that they announce it on the forums(and NUG)
That will get you better exposure for your plugin

and yes no reason to get into a debate about plugins, it's a personal choice

I do respect the people who extend RS by plugins....no disrespect intended at all

But you have no respect for those developers that extend RS's capabilities with classes?? Uh?

Just kidding!

Happy New Year!