Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:16 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Interface Kit?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:10 am 

Hi,
does anyone know where I can purchase Sam Rowland's Interface Kit?

Every link seems to point to a mac.com address which is no longer available.
It seems that yet again, I want to purchase a control, but have no way of doing it :)

Weird !

Post subject: Re: Interface Kit?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:40 am 

Last updated 2008.
I found this page:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27034/interface-kit

But I agree with the sentiments of the reviewers: $150 is a silly price to have been asking and I would be amazed if he sold more than 5 licences.
Its not surprising that the links went dead.. probably the emails dried up years ago.

From curiosity: why are you so keen to bring on board all these UI components?
Many of the subscribers to these forums shun them if only because of exactly this scenario:
A custom class, and even an encrypted class.. if you build your app around it and the supplier gets bored or dies, where are you?

I got stuck by FireEye PDF classes that way a few years ago.
It took me months to get things working , then the author went to University and just cut the strings.
No freeware version, no support, nothing. Goodbye was all he wrote...

So I had to start again with another class, and that was painful.
If you stick to standard controls, or roll your own, or at the least have the source for an exteranl class you use, you have a chance to keep it working.

Then theres the issue of REAL constantly changing and deprecating things.
If you have an excrypted class with no support, and it contains calls to deprecated stuff, it will just die on you eventually, with no way to fix it.

Caveat empor...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:52 am 

Hi,
in the screenshot of the interface kit, at the bottom left there is an iCal scrolling buttons control that I really liked, and I have no idea how to create that myself.
That is the only reason I buy a few controls now and then - because I am not good enough to make them myself :(

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:57 am 

I take exception to the sentiment shown here. $150 is worth every penny if the classes do what they say they do (and you need it). There's nothing stopping you from creating your own solution, but how long will it take? Weeks, months, a year? What's your time worth?

Sam has been a long time Real Studio user and is active in the community. His code is well done and he eats his own dog food (which is why the classes came to fruition begin with). I've purchased several of his classes over the years because I didn't want to take the time to develop them myself. For me time = money.

I recently reviewed his AppWrapper utility, one of only two solutions to Sandbox your Real Studio apps to get them into the Mac App Store. The utility is very good at what it does and like many things, sure, you could do it yourself, but have fun doing all the research that he's already done, and implemented.

Look, there is always a risk when you purchase someone's library. There's a chance the developer could get hit by a bus tomorrow or just leave the market entirely. Frankly, it's because people don't want to purchase 3rd party libraries and controls is partially why developers abandon the Real Studio market. Don't need it or want it? Fine, but don't bad mouth the product and developer simply because it costs something.

Developers don't make 3rd party products for the Real Studio market because few people buy. But then people complain that there's no 3rd party market for Real Studio.

If you wish to get hold of Sam, I suggest you visit http://www.ohanaware.com and contact him via http://www.ohanaware.com/contact/

Somewhat sorry for the rant. Been in this business a long time....

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:03 am 

Quote:
That is the only reason I buy a few controls now and then - because I am not good enough to make them myself

Quote:
I take exception to the sentiment shown here

I'm not knocking the product, Bob.
And Im personally happy to pay for a class or library that saves me time.
Ive taken your exact position a number of times on this forum myself.
I have several MonkeyBread items for instance, and Im very happy I bought them.
But I have also been burned, and that is a risk that must be evaluated.

I doubt it would have been worth paying $150 to get that one control.

Actually:I havent seen that control in action anywhere: what does it do?
Just scroll back and forward though hours/day/week/month/year..?

Ask.. maybe someone will give you code for free.
If I can find an instance of that control being used, and I have some spare time, I may even knock it up for you myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:16 am 

Thank you both for your responses.

Bob - I have contacted Ohanaware to see if he still sells it??
Kermit - I also appreciate your opinion on being careful of buying classes which may become deprecated.

The way I see it is this:
If I am not good enough to roll my own, then I will gladly pay someone else who has more knowledge and has taken the effort to create a control / class.
It saves me time and stress, and as long as it works during the app it is intended for - I am not particularly worried if it becomes deprecated and unusable for my next project.

Obviously if I am paying a lot of money i will consider the possibility - but it is not the crucial decider.

I got the impression that the control I pointed out, allows one to have a limited width bar - which can scroll buttons - allowing numerous buttons in a minimum space.
Maybe I am wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:30 am 

So much to respond to, where to start...

Thanks for the endorsement Bob, much appreciated.

Buying segments for products you are selling, isn't quite the same as buying a coffee or soda. I had spent months of time learning the ins and outs of Core Graphics, how to hook it up to RS and then how to draw visual components, then integrating it within RS's event model in a way that makes these controls feel natural on RS, not some cheap hack job. The people who did buy it, respected that they're not buying something disposable, they're paying to save time trying to do this them selves, which in turns saves money. It was more than 5 people, and many people purchased the source code which was $500 a pop.

During the height of it's sales I was earning more from selling RS components and source code than I was from my main source of income. However these days are long gone.

As for the current state of my components, pretty much there hasn't been any demand for them in the last few years. As time has gone by and these components feel out of the loop as to say, I simply didn't renew them and now that .Mac is gone... So are they. If people do need something specific, I'm all ears and can be reached either through my company site, Ohanaware.com or through the NUG and this forum.

In regards to the Interface Kit, it only works on Carbon (the entire Cocoa system is very different) and RS have included many components that Interface Kit gave you. If you are still stuck building Carbon, then alright, but I would suggest trying to get your application into Cocoa as it's the way forward.

AppWrapper - Prepare Apps for Mac App Store & OS X 10.8 - http://www.ohanaware.com/appwrapper/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:27 pm 

I own most Real Studio 3rd party pfferings (including Rowland's IFK) and I ALWAYS buy source if it is available for the scenario you listed above. I fixed a resizing bug in IFK on the Mac. In JeremK's toolbar I moved things around a bit so I could add shadows to some 32px icons I really like to fit in the same space on his toolbar. I (nearly) begged the author of a defunct FTP library for the source so that I could make some internal changes that I needed. I hunted down the ChartPart graph code because I wanted a lightweight, simple Bar chart that I could highly customize to my app. Etc... Yeah, source is a bit more expensive (and sometimes it is even free), but I am not left holding the bag as what happened to Kermit.

Expensive controls due to low-volume is just how it is with RB. I am so much productive in this environment than others that the cost of the controls is more than made up for in time saved, as Bob mentioned.