Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:58 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Valentina reports - anyone have experience using them?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:46 am 

Is it possible to use Valentina Reports with CubeSQL Server ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:34 pm 

Hi Valdo,

Valdo wrote:
Is it possible to use Valentina Reports with CubeSQL Server ?

I think no, because we do not have client library for it.
MAY BE if exists ODBC driver for it, then it is possible use ODBC way to extract data.

May be you can consider converting SQLite db into Valentina DB (should be easy with help of Valentina Studio),
and using Free Valentina Server/5 instead ...

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology
Paradigma Software, Inc

Valentina Server, Valentina for REALbasic, Valentina Reports, ...
http://www.paradigmasoft.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:52 pm 

Just a tip to others that might be considering OmegaBundle, and a warning. Not sure if Paradigma Software care much about customer support and the info they provide is pretty sloppy (contains misinformation and errors) - from discussion with Ohanaware, Lynn at Paradigma isn't well (sorry to hear that, hope you're back with us soon - hope someone can still respond to my questions though).

I really want a new report writer, one that works on all platforms (now that we're actively developing web-editions of our products).

OmegaBundle looked too good an opportunity to pass up. Our report-writer is in development still, but Valentina seemed to be well capable of doing most of what I want it to do (apart from preloading PDF forms, and direct printer output - but those are question I have for Valentina). I don't have any problem with the report writer components so far, in fact they're referred to often by RS users with far more experience than I have, so I'm prepared to give it a shot, and the demo videos are good enough to get a good idea of it's capabilities. The explanation of exactly which components are required is pretty vague, but a reading the posts above should give you enough info for people wanting to get started with it (you only need the RealStudio ADK (though vague on which options are needed) and Valentina Studio Pro for designing reports)

I already have licences for many of the components offered (TTZip, MBS Complete, DynaPDF Pro (not Lite as offered in the bundle)), but considering I'd save a few bucks on the Valentina stuff I didn't mind. Also, some of the bundled items aren't much use to me as they're either not cross-platform (e.g. won't work with web edition and/or linux), whilst app-wrapper and the icon set add some extra value. Elastic Window would be useful, but only when RS fix the issues with resizing control images (sliders, combos etc).

Best part of the whole pack is the Real Studio Developer mag - back issues etc., a wonderful resource!

I do have a problem however with the promoters of this product not answering emails about the contents and delivery of the components in the bundle. For example, the order confirmation email, with instructions for obtaining components in the bundle indicates you should download the "Revolution" version of the ADK...and answer "No" to the ADK Reports option (I thought I was getting a reporting tool but it's all a bit vague). Paradigma must be on holiday because they haven't responded to any of the questions I've asked about these apparent errors (or not, don't know...). 3 days later and nothing from App Wrapper (Ohanaware), so as suggested in the order confirmation I've emailed them for an activation. Franklin 3D isn't of particular interest, but as it was included in the bundle I tried to register on their site - but got an error and never got the opportunity to download the product to take a look (as I'd paid for it).

So, just a warning for those hoping to get a great deal - you might not get what you're expecting, and figuring out how to get the products you actually need ends up being a frustrating exercise.

I'd suggest those wanting to trial Valentina watch the videos, download the free stuff and give it a go, just as you can probably try out most of the other stuff as well.

Matt.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:34 pm 

Having same issue as you. The email asks me to select the ADK Revolution versions and NO reports which seems odd. I tried emailing the link on the order confirmation which is lynn@ and both have bounced with no such user!!!!!

Sam from AppWrapper did reply to my email, saying there was an issue with the auto sends but seems to have fixed and I did get my key.

However, I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling on the Valentina products right now.......... :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:31 am 

Hi Matt,
Hi streamer,

1) Sorry guys for any confusing you could get from letters about REV and delay in answers. Yes we have got such state that
* Lynn have catch health problem and was in hospital more of week
* Me was on vacation with family and I did have very weak inet connection by EDGE ...

Just only I have return home ... Lynn also back few days ...

So Matt and streamer, please send to my and Lynn emails your letters from OB, which contains info about REV...
I will ask Lynn check carefully where is trouble once again.

Also please keep in mind, that on valentina-db.com we have MANUAL proceed of orders.
So even if you will make mistake and in order for OB point wrong products,
we will correct self list of products and then letter with serials will be generated to you.

You will get exactly what was promised, do not worry.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ruslan Zasukhin
Paradigma Software, Inc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:37 am 

2) Matt, we already have had yesterday small discussion about PDF load into default printer, and right now I see your new email with text

================
Our old report writer (OnTarget) allowed us to run the report direct to the user's default printer without any user interaction. If I can't do that with Valentina then it's probably not what I need.
================

First of all let me remind and explain. We listen to customer needs always very carefully and try react as soon as possible.
You have ONE YEAR subscription on Valentina products now. So it is good idea talk to us about your needs.
You can talk to us using

a) Valentina main list
b) Valentina beta list
c) Mantis -- our bug tracker... ANY AND ALL your feature requests must be placed here please. Not only on lists.

in feature request it is good idea mention then OnTargetReport,
give quotes of API which you have use, and what it exactly did ...

If we will have questions we will ask them of course to better understand your needs.

Ruslan Zasukhin
Paradigma Software, Inc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:41 am 

3) Matt says

Quote:
I really want a new report writer, one that works on all platforms (now that we're actively developing web-editions of our products).

IN ABOUT WEEK, we will show cool improvement to Valentina Reports and HTTP generation :-)

I do not want expose too much here right now.
You can come to our beta list, then you will be able discuss it with us,
and I expect in 1-2 days we will make new big beta 5.0 build of all Valentina products on all OS,
so this feature will be available to play with...

We self now develop reports for our Valentina Server that use this new feature...
looks interesting ...

Ruslan Zasukhin
Paradigma Software, Inc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:52 pm 

Now that everyone's back in the saddle, things are looking up - I have an updated email for Omegabundle from Paradigma (thanks Lynn) with corrected instructions and an extra gadget, and superb support from Ruslan at Valentina with a few questions and suggestions! This is looking real good - a proper report writer at last.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:03 am 

OK - after a day working with Valentina Reports, building up a simple invoice, it seems the wheels fall off pretty quickly.

The IDE is OK - a bit clunky but it didn't crash. That's good.

But, there are numerous bugs - it may be just the Mac version but a whole list of things don't work properly:

can't display query data in Page Header or Page Footer areas (I should have stopped right there)
can't set foreground attributes on mixed object types (even though you can select/copy/past multiple objects you can't change the foreground colour for all selected objects)
date formats (any formats) don't work
currency fields are truncated (trailing zero is dropped off, e.g. 123.40 is printed as 123.4) and don't show currency symbol
can preview a report, but can't print it (print dialog appears, but nothing gets printed)
export to PDF OK (apart from number and date format issues)
view in Browser is messy
Can't type in colour codes (or copy and paste them) - have to either type decimal values or use sliders - pretty clumsy
No quick reference documentation - and it's pretty hard to find stuff in the vdb website

Here's something that's scary:
Step 1: Open an existing project from the welcome screen, then
Step 2: choose Project..Start Page, then
Step 3: select your project again from the welcome screen (and/or Projects..Recent) - bam! don't worry, it hasn't been destroyed (even though the dialog says it can't be found). Restart Valentina Studio.

Back to the drawing board - I had real hopes for this. I'm not saying it's a disaster yet, but I had hoped for a more mature product.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:23 am 

Bummer, this is bad news. (((

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:30 pm 

Oh, Matt.

1) you again write somehow into wrong place I afraid.
Guys, please note, we do not monitor this forum absolutely. This forum is for REALstudio developers.
I have inform you that
a) bugs and feature requests should go into Mantis: http://www.valentina-db.com/bt/
b) we have own mail lists to discuss Valentina DB + Report products, ask questions, report issues.

It is very strange for me, that you post issues here, but not to Valentina list ??
I only today have note your last message here.

2) in private email, I have point you that you working with 4.9.1 release, which is 13 months old.
On Valentina beta list, you can get access to Valentina 5.0b36 (3 weeks old), and this week we should make b37.

any issues you have found please discuss with us on Valentina beta list.
and please play with VStudio and V4RB 5.0 betas ...

We will make sure anything will be fixed into 5.0 release.
And you get 5.0 release (as well as 5.1 5.2 .. ) for free as OmegaBundle user.

As I know, our guys already have commit into SVN ability for HEADER display data from a record. -- this was your request, right?

Ruslan Zasukhin
Paradigma Software, Inc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:31 pm 

Ruslan,

Are you suggesting I shouldn't share my experiences with Valentina Reports on an existing thread in Real Software Forums?

Others may (or not) be interested in my experience so far with Valentina Reports, and it's my bet they look in this forum first.

You have been advised of all these issues via email (there are far too many issues for me to spend the time adding each one individually to your mantis system) - so to say I shouldn't post them here seems a little dictatorial.

I have to say that the experience so far is underwhelming, and I wouldn't purchase the bundle if I knew what I know now.

Yes, you did indeed provide a link to the latest beta (which I had already downloaded, tested and found the exact same issues), so that's not a satisfactory solution.

I'll look at the next release of course, but Valentina Reports are probably not going to make it into our systems any time soon.

Matt.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:40 pm 

Thank you, Matt. I appreciate your candid views.

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:34 pm 

Matt,

I am not telling you not to post here. I apologize my style seem that way. I am not a native English speaker.

When customers have a problem with products, we want to try to resolve that ASAP. It is easier if on our mailing list because we see it for
sure. We are close to shipping Valentina 5 so I want to make sure you were using 5.x beta. It sounds like yes. Most probably problem will be resolved in 5.x.

Ruslan Zasukhin
Paradigma Software, Inc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:10 pm 

I appreciate your view also Matt... thank you for posting. I purchased the Omega Bundle for LiveCode last year. I never could get Valentina working with LiveCode. The documentation was very lacking and after looking at the current docs they look to be in the same shape. My experience last year was less than pleasant. I was really interested in the Valentina reporting but not so much after reading your experience, looking at the current docs and based on my past experience.

I would like to have the MBS products, so I'm still considering. I can do my reporting with DynaPDF. I think the MBS products still make it a pretty good buy.

Thanks Again,
jharris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next