Real Software Forums
http://forums.realsoftware.com/

VLC plugin for Real Studio
http://forums.realsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=43371
Page 2 of 4

Author:  bishopthom [ Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

hey davorin...

sorry to hear that you're having trouble. do you have the latest version of VLC installed? and if so, is it installed in /Applications/VLC.app ??

the plugin doesn't load the underlying library until runtime and from what you've posted, it looks like it isn't finding dylib's.

if you do have the lastest version of VLC installed, but in another location, you can override the search algorithm with the 'Library' property for the control. if that doesn't help, i would really like to find out more information about your system configuration so that i can add you're config into the mix.

thanks!

-thom

Author:  davorin [ Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

Yes it is installed under:

iMac27:MacOS klingler$ ls -l /Applications | grep VLC
drwxr-xr-x 3 klingler admin 102 18 Mär 20:25 VLC.app

And also I copied the libs and the plugin folder manually to the built application Frameworks folder:


iMac27:Contents klingler$ ls -l Frameworks/
total 2744
-rw-r--r-- 1 klingler staff 64756 6 Jun 20:26 RBAppearancePak.rbx_0.dylib
-rw-r--r-- 1 klingler staff 164916 6 Jun 20:26 VLCPlugin.rbx_0.dylib
-rw-r--r--@ 1 klingler staff 134920 6 Jun 01:15 libvlc.5.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x 1 klingler staff 14 6 Jun 20:40 libvlc.dylib -> libvlc.5.dylib
-rw-r--r--@ 1 klingler staff 1027660 6 Jun 01:15 libvlccore.5.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x 1 klingler staff 18 6 Jun 20:40 libvlccore.dylib -> libvlccore.5.dylib
drwxr-xr-x@ 287 klingler staff 9758 6 Jun 01:15 plugins


But both running from within RS and the built application directly gives me this error...


BTW: What would I have to set as the Library property?

Author:  davorin [ Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

Think I know what the problem was...

Reinstalled VLC but downloaded the 32/64 Bit version...
I assume the older one was 64 bit only (o;

But know getting "MediaPlayerEncounteredError" when trying to play MPEG4 SD and HD files...
And those few movies which play have no sound...

Author:  bishopthom [ Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

ah, ok... cool. looks like the plugin is finding the library correctly then.

there is an issue, regarding how special characters are handled in Real Studio ShellPath properties. On Mac and Linux, the full file path returned from a FolderItem contains escapes for special characters (according to the docs), i.e. spaces, dashes, etc. LibVLC unfortunately doesn't like them. you should be able to cut/paste the full path to your video file in the text box on the example application and hit 'enter' to load the clip, effectively bypassing the FolderItem object.

if this is an issue for you, please let me know. i may be able to selectively strip the escapes out of the text in the plugin, before sending the data off to LibVLC for display.

thanks for the feedback! i hope this information helps.

-thom

Author:  eduo [ Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

bishopthom wrote:
ah, ok... cool. looks like the plugin is finding the library correctly then.

there is an issue, regarding how special characters are handled in Real Studio ShellPath properties. On Mac and Linux, the full file path returned from a FolderItem contains escapes for special characters (according to the docs), i.e. spaces, dashes, etc. LibVLC unfortunately doesn't like them. you should be able to cut/paste the full path to your video file in the text box on the example application and hit 'enter' to load the clip, effectively bypassing the FolderItem object.

if this is an issue for you, please let me know. i may be able to selectively strip the escapes out of the text in the plugin, before sending the data off to LibVLC for display.

thanks for the feedback! i hope this information helps.

-thom


Macoslib's folderitem.POSIXpath may help there.

Author:  bishopthom [ Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

definitely. from what i gather, the lack of a POSIX compatible path with FolderItem is a big point of contention in the RS community.

thanks again for taking my little project for a spin. i hope you find it worthwhile.

-thom

Author:  davorin [ Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

Seems really to be a problem with file names containing "spaces" and "-"...
but then again...final application just needs to receive a live stream from a DVB-C receiver.

Hmm...all movies play with no sound!


Okay...got it now (o;

VLCControl1.AudioEnabled wasn't set int the example project...

Author:  davorin [ Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

What is the license model of the VLC plugin? Don't see anything on the product page...

So if I want to bundle the VLC plugin in my application and distribute them, do I just need one license?


Also...will there be a future option to display number/name of audio tracks and to be able to select a specific audio track?

Author:  bishopthom [ Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

it's a one-time license. you'll receive a serial key that will need to be added to the control via the VlcControl.License property.

i'll check into auto track support for you. i'm sure it can be added in.

-thom

Author:  davorin [ Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

Well I just bought it (o;

- Audio track selection/display would be excellent
- I know VLC can also display EPG information from a DVB stream, maybe not everyone's need (o;

BTW:

If I want to package a standalone application without user needing to install VLC...
I would just need to copy "lib/" and "plugins/" into applications Framework folder and point "Library" to it?

Would VlcControl accept relative paths then?

Author:  MonkeybreadSoftware [ Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

You know that you can get the full VLC feature set with the MBS Plugin?
So audio channel or track selection is already there.

Greetings
Christian

Author:  bishopthom [ Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

davorin wrote:
Well I just bought it (o;

- Audio track selection/display would be excellent
- I know VLC can also display EPG information from a DVB stream, maybe not everyone's need (o;

BTW:

If I want to package a standalone application without user needing to install VLC...
I would just need to copy "lib/" and "plugins/" into applications Framework folder and point "Library" to it?

Would VlcControl accept relative paths then?


cool! thank you!

i've got a new build in test that includes audio/video track selection support and a bug fix for subtitles. if you have any sample files that you can provide, i'd be happy to test with them.

yes.... you should be able to drop the libraries and the plugin folder in your Framework directory, no need to set VlcControl.Library, Frameworks is already in the search path. VlcControl.Library is available just in case you decide to organize your application different from the usual config or want to test an alternate VLC install.

-thom

Author:  davorin [ Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

Just playing around with the VlcControl.Library property...

I moved my VLC application from "/Applications" to "/Applications/Media" (as I like to have all media apps in one place (o;

But no matter which way I try to set the library path, it displays now the libVLC not found blue screen...

I set the new path in:

- directly on the app windows player control
- in the open event of the main window
- in the open event of the vlccontrol plugin


Also tried building on Windows XP...there I also get the "libVLC" not found screen.
Even with copying over the libraries and plugins to the "Libs" folder didn't resolve the problem.

Is there per chance any hardcoded stuff inside?
Or how does exactly the algorithm look like for finding libvlc?

Preferably I want to set it inside the main window open event with:

If targetMachO then
VlcControl1.Library = "/Applications/Media/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS"
ElseIf TargetWin32 then
VlcControl1.Library = "C:\Programme\VideoLAN\VLC"
End

Author:  bishopthom [ Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

davorin wrote:
Just playing around with the VlcControl.Library property...

I moved my VLC application from "/Applications" to "/Applications/Media" (as I like to have all media apps in one place (o;

But no matter which way I try to set the library path, it displays now the libVLC not found blue screen...

I set the new path in:

- directly on the app windows player control
- in the open event of the main window
- in the open event of the vlccontrol plugin


Also tried building on Windows XP...there I also get the "libVLC" not found screen.
Even with copying over the libraries and plugins to the "Libs" folder didn't resolve the problem.

Is there per chance any hardcoded stuff inside?
Or how does exactly the algorithm look like for finding libvlc?

Preferably I want to set it inside the main window open event with:

If targetMachO then
VlcControl1.Library = "/Applications/Media/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS"
ElseIf TargetWin32 then
VlcControl1.Library = "C:\Programme\VideoLAN\VLC"
End


please try the following and let me know what happens...

/Applications/Media/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/

setting VlcControl.Library overrides the search, so a trailing '\' is needed.

-thom

Author:  davorin [ Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: VLC plugin for Real Studio

Okay...setting VlcControl.Library only works clicking on the VLC screen and setting the library path there with "/Applications/Media/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/".

But this won't work setting the library path with

VlcControl1.Library = "/Applications/Media/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/"

in either the main window open event or the VlcControl open event...
Meaning..I can't set the path specific to a compiled target then.

Page 2 of 4 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/