Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:36 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Graffitisuite interaction with other plugins
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:53 pm 

Recently I have been trying to use Graffitisuite and I am getting some odd behavior on Windows. I normally do my RealStudio dev on OSX and move the project to Windows for some additional testing. Admittedly I am somewhat new to RealStudio development so it takes some "tinkering" sometimes to get things right for me. I have done "tons" of development in PowerBASIC on Windows but I am trying to make the jump to RealStudio to be more multi-platform.

I also have the MonkeyBread Complete package loaded.

I have not tried all of the Graffiti controls but the button is the one I tried first. On OSX it looks normal and I can pick any of the few dozen skins and it makes a very cool looking button. On Windows the button normally does NOT appear to be displayed on the screen. When you move the mouse over the button or off of the button it flashes for a few milliseconds as the mouse passes the edge boundary of the button then disappears. The button is fully clickable and the action associated with the button works fine even when it is not displayed. When the button flickers the graphic does match the correctly working button on OSX.

I downloaded the Graffitisuite demo program (encrypted), compiled it in RealStudio, and it "sort of" works in Windows but I have not been able to change the button skin as I could in my custom program.

I am Lion on OSX and Windows 7 on the other machine. I have tried program on two Windows 7 boxes with the same result.

Since I bought the "Encrypted" version the only Graffiti support is their forum.

Their other controls also include a nice looking properties panel that I want to use but if I cannot get the button working I don't know if I want to go deeper into something with cross platform issues.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Graffitisuite interaction with other plugins
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:15 pm 

I have the same problem you described. What more troubling is that I can copy buttons from the demo and paste them into my project and they work fine.

Did you come up with a solution?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:00 pm 

I bought the buttons about two years and had pretty poor results with Windows OS. I finally gave up on using it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:38 am 

I was unaware that this issue had resurfaced. At one point it was reported, fixed, and verified by customers. I'll look in to it tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:55 am 

The issue only appears for me at color depths below 32-bit. This is a problem with all of GraffitiSuite's classes, as most have come to rely on alpha channel support (and GDI+). The problem is that, for whatever reason, masks seem to be ignored at these lower color depths in Real Studio. When I last conducted a poll of users who wanted lower color-depth support for Windows, the responses indicated (overwhelmingly) that 32-bit depth should be the bar. For what reasons are you using a color-depth lower than 32-bit? Is this a feasible use-case scenario or a virtual environment for testing?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:48 am 

For the color depth - are you referring to the video driver or is there another setting in the Real Basic IDE. What's also puzzling is that I can copy a button from the demo app and it shows up fine, but the one created in my project does not.

-- Rob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:58 am 

The Windows setting for color-depth is what I'm referring to.

OK, I've identified the issue. In the "Open" event of your GraffitiButton control, until the next release is out, add the following line:
me.DoubleBuffer = False

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:34 am 

Thanks for the temporary fix. I have confirmed that it does fix the problem I was having.

-- Rob