Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:20 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Grid and Chart controls?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:55 pm 

Hi all,
Like many other developers coming from the VB6/VB.NET platform I quickly noticed that RB is shipped with less controls then found in VB. RB has a Listbox that can be rather customized so it behave as a basic Data Grid control. RB lacks also a Chart control.

Based on what I have read on this forum I have come to some conclusions. As for a Data Grid control it seems that Einhugur Software's Data Grid control is the preferable choice although Excel Software's RbApp is shipped with a Grid control, RbGrid.

When it comes to Chart control it seems that some developers use Chart Pro while other developers prefer MonkeyBread's ChartDirector or Excel Software's RbChart (as part of the RbApp controls collection).

Which Data Grid control should I buy and which Chart control will be the best option for a guy like me coming from the VB6/VB.NET? Please disregard the price level(s) here.

The only conclusion I can come up with, when it comes to the lack of these controls in RB Studio, is that the RB developers don't find it important.

Personally I would welcome that these two controls would be included in RB. After all, designing user interfaces that involves any interaction with databases require usually these two type of controls.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Grid and Chart controls?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:12 pm 

I am always happy to jump in and plug the MBS Chart Director. It's really, really good. It's only real drawback IMO is that is that it uses the colour options from it's parent code (Advanced Software Engineering which comes with a very good help forum http://www.chartdir.com/forum/index.php?site=chartdir).

But using Jeremy's colour wheel ( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37063&p=208518#p208518 ) and some of my own methods, I've been able to get around those limitations and make some nice charts.

I think it would be asking a lot of Real Software to include that kind of chart functionality. They have plenty of other things on their plate and Christian has done an excellent job writing ASE's code to fit RealBasic - you can really do almost anything you can imagine using it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:12 pm 

It's not that RB Developers don't find them important, it's just that the market for the add-ons is smaller than VB/.NET so you have fewer options. The ones that are available are very inexpensive so there's not much incentive for other developers (myself included) to come up with alternatives. Add in that it's a major pain to code controls across 3 (4 if you count Cocoa) platforms along with poor plugin documentation and lack of direction on best practices from RS and it's a perfect storm (in my opinion).

I should note that the fancy grids you see in Windows is not so common on the Mac. I can't think of any Mac-only apps that make heavy use of specialized grids (and I mean the grid hosting other controls). It's just not as ingrained in Mac users to use that sort of functionality. In any event, cross platform controls usually have a heavy dose of 'lowest common denominator' when it comes to features.

Here's are list of extra's that we use on a lot of projects:

The Einhugur plugins: StyleGrid, TreeView, Calendar, Date, Time and a few others
MonkeyBread Plugins: ChartDirector, CURL and the main plugins and others depending on project
Enhanced TextFields: Formatted Text Control from True North Software
Reporting: RSReports from Roth Software

I happen to agree with you, by the way, as ARBP's survey from a few years ago showed that grids and reporting were critical needs. Reporting was addressed (minimally) but the grids continue to be 'good enough' for a majority of RB users.

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:15 pm 

Hi again,

Thanks for the comments so far. My post should not be viewed as any critics against the vendors of the third-part's controls that I mention.

I have no opinion about if it exist a market or not for third-part's controls. That's not the question here. It should also be noted that I explicit excluded the price levels.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:04 pm 

Kyan wrote:
It's really, really good. It's only real drawback IMO is that is that it uses the colour options...

Is there something I can improve?

For example if you name me a function where you would like to pass a RB color directly, I could simply overload it. (as I did a few already).

Greetings
Christian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:36 am 

I want to add that with MBS Plugins 11.1pr11, I added 260 new methods to take color as color instead as integer. Please note that passing integer values allows you to specify transparency, use gradients, patterns and zone colors.

If you need anything else to simplify the plugin use, please email me.

Greetings
Christian