Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:44 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: FTC Support
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:20 pm 

I just bought the FTC version 2.0 and after many e-mail with TrueNorthSoftware I'm in the same situation as in the begin. When I ask TNS how to use SCU in the FTC (Formatted Text Controls).
I asked "What do I need to change to use other dictionary"
Answer "The method is only 5 lines of code. Are you incapable of understanding this code?"

Next I asked "Do I need to change this line: 'spellChecker = new SSCESpellChecker(SSCEngine.SSSCE_AMER_ENGLISH_LANG)'
Answer "You are half way there."

I hope that this is some Monday mood at Brendan Murphy support manager at TrueNorthSoftware.

After some 5-6 e-mails I'm still stuck with this product, without knowledge of how to use it.

If somebody know how to use FTC I would like to know how to change spellcheck language in it!

If this is the best support that TNS give customers I cannot recommend this product or company TrueNorthSoftware.

Gunnar Jacobsen.

Post subject: Re: FTC Support
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:09 pm 

With all due respect Gunner, he has been verbally abusive and unwilling to cooperate in finding a solution. I have pointed him towards what he needs, but he seems unwilling to do something as simply reading the documentation which would answer his questions.

He recently has a dust up on the RS beta list where he instigated similar ill will on a different topic, so it suggests that it may be Gunner's attitude that is the problem here.

I submit the following two unsolicited customer comments on the support I give for my products.

http://www.freelists.org/post/ftcdev/OT-Thanks,6
http://www.freelists.org/post/ftcdev/OT-Thanks,7

Please disregard Gunner's comments since it appears he has an axe to grid without cause.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:30 pm 

I've been using FTC since version 1 was in beta. It's continually evolved and you've done a bang up job of support. The times that I've had questions, you've responded quickly and thoroughly. I'm a happy customer, Brendan, and I've recommended it to many RB developers.

In regards to the SCU (Spell Check Utilities) and FTC, they are two different products. Buying FTC doesn't automatically get you SCU since it is an additional cost to purchase (which is clearly stated on the website). So while there is code that utilizes SCU in the Formatted Text Control, how to use SCU is in the SCU documentation and example project.

I believe that several folks on the FTC dev-list have managed to get the Einhugur Spell Checker working with FTC but that's Mac OS X only. It's considerably cheaper but not cross-platform. If memory serves, I think some may have gotten MagicSpeller to work as well.

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:39 pm 

Brendan Murphy

This has nothing to do with RB WE beta list, it only shows that you mention it here how farway you are from your support,
So why don't you show this forums that you answer my question that I repeat her! Show the world that you answer your customers.
Make a change to your prior answers!

I asked "What do I need to change to use other dictionary"
Answer "The method is only 5 lines of code. Are you incapable of understanding this code?"

Next I asked "Do I need to change this line: 'spellChecker = new SSCESpellChecker(SSCEngine.SSSCE_AMER_ENGLISH_LANG)'
Answer "You are half way there."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:15 pm 

Gunner,

You seem intent on causing harm for no good reason. Here is what I sent to you.

Quote:
I never got any answer about what to change regarding getspellchecker?

I previously wrote:
You need to rewrite the getSpellChecker code to open your dictionary.

The method is only 5 lines of code. Are you incapable of understanding this code?

I asked you about your level of understanding since this code is as simple as it gets. If you are capable of understanding this code, then you just need to read the documentation. If not, then you need some special help.

Quote:
You are half way there.

Please read the SCU documentation on how to open dictionaries.

When I said you are half way there I was acknowledging the code you wrote so far was correct. But in your response on this forum you seem to leave off the last part that tells you read the SCU documentation which would lead you to the method called "openDictionary." This is not a difficult thing to do. So why are you complaining?

I contend this is not a technical support problem or a problem with my support given to my customers, but it is your attitude. You are making it difficult for yourself. Please stop being abusive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:19 pm 

If you say's is only 5 lines of code why don't you list it with the change that is needed to use another dictionary.
Like you said this is simple 5 lines of code that I was so stupid not to understand! Here I will show this 5 lines:

' Has the spell checker been created?
if spellChecker is nil then
' Create the spell checker.
spellChecker = new SSCESpellChecker(SSCEngine.SSSCE_ICELANDIC_LANG)
' Set the serial number.
spellChecker.SetSerialNumber(getSSCESerial)
' Open the american 100k dictionary.
spellChecker.openAmerican100KDictionary
end if
' Return the spell checker.
return spellChecker

Now you for the first time you talk about "openDictionary"! Where in this 5 line are this method? It is not and should I have known, that this method was not in this 5 lines that you told me to try to understand. I know you call for openAmerican100KDictionary, but that dictionary is built-in dictionary.
So why don't you just answer this question.
If you spend more time to avoid to answer it will only show that I'm right in this matters.
Have a nice day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:02 pm 

Quote:
If you spend more time to avoid to answer it will only show that I'm right in this matters.
Have a nice day.

I think you have this situation backwards. You are the one that wants my help and I am willing to give it to you, but you keep complaining and thrashing about in abusive ways. Now you say you were right and then on top of that say have a nice day. Hmmmm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:00 pm 

I'm not going to spend more time on this, you have shown here in all your answer, just what I was talking about.
Lack of support and you have done it your self, shown everybody that read this topic, that you are not going to support this Item and last answer just show what kind of support you offer. With this support your product is just a waste of money. I hope everybody that are thinking to buy your product read this topic and see what kind of support will get with this FTC product from TrueNorthSoftware. Instead of answer two silly question you have add 50-100 line of nothing, just like your support are!

And after 18 month as your customer, my name is GUNNAR not GUNNER, dear Brenda!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:32 am 

Personally I think that both of you are acting foolish bringing this stupid argument to the forums when it should be hashed out between the two of you. Not seeing all of the original e-mails going back and forth it is impossible to tell who is the worse; but nothing that has been printed in these forum posts on this topic has shown much intelligence from either side. My experience with previous posts from Brendan, I tend to side with him; but, why not just tell Gunnar how to accomplish the task of switching dictionaries and be done with it. You may perfectly understand the code since you wrote it, that doesn't mean that a user of the code will readily understand how to switch dictionaries.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:55 am 

I didn't bring this to the forum, Gunnar did. Gunnar is the one who refuses to work it out privately. He has publicly berated my reputation which couldn't go unchallenged because it has financial consequences. Gunnar hasn't tried to resolve the situation, but from square one been arrogant and abusive. He is one of those customers that is big pain in the back side. It is not that I won't answer his questions, but he won't even read the manual which answers his question. I can't guess at his motivation, but his actions are hurtful.

Bottom line, I have given my customers excellent support.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:19 pm 

My plan was not going to spend more time on this topic, but when I see another user been waiting for 8 month after support from Brendan Murphy, I had to remind Brendan to look around, here is another topic about same trouble "No support" viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33511

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:58 pm 

I agree with harriew.... this is not the place to vent your dismay with a product that was not create by REAL. Regardless of who posted first, this issue should be dealt with between the company who made the product and the user who is using the product

norman73 wrote:
My plan was not going to spend more time on this topic, but when I see another user been waiting for 8 month after support from Brendan Murphy, I had to remind Brendan to look around, here is another topic about same trouble "No support" viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33511

Digging up old threads from REAL Software forums doesn't prove anything. Since this is NOT the official support forum for TrueNorthSoftware, your point is not valid.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:42 pm 

Hi Sky Stream

This forum topic is for Third Party Add-ons not for plugins that Real Software create!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:56 pm 
Real Software Engineer

And Brendan may have already dealt with the other person outside the forums.
Please keep things civil.