Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:34 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Writing a simple client to send email
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:03 am 

In the email example that ships with RealStudio there is no mention of needing to set up my PC (Win 7) as an email server. Shouldn't the "send email" sample app work with my PC without any other special considerations (like setting up the PC as an email server)?

I can't seem to get it working yet - but I am not sure if it is because I am not getting the server settings right (for my email provider) or if the app needs some tweaking of sorts on my PC.

Post subject: Re: Writing a simple client to send email
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 am 

Quote:
Shouldn't the "send email" sample app work with my PC without any other special considerations

Nope.
If you want to be entertained, try searching the web for how to send emails with visual basic...
most try to use outlook as a client.
Outlook itself cant send anything unless you give it the details of an email server of some kind.
What you are describing is a replacement for Outlook, really.

If you search this forum you will find a number of examples of using CURL and PHP scripts on a web site to do the sending.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:00 am 

You are correct - I am trying to be "outlook like" - but for a very specific and narrow task. I want my applications to leverage my remote web server to send a message from my hosted email address to the user. The function is "send me a report via email". I want to generate the report and body of the email message on the user's PC and then leverage my hosted account to send that email to the user's own email account.

What is the easiest way to do this?

FYI: I am able to do this from my web-based CGI app using RealStudio; now I just want to do it from the user's PC.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:10 am 

mpastor wrote:
You are correct - I am trying to be "outlook like" - but for a very specific and narrow task.
The SMTPSocket Class is an SMTP Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) client. Outlook does a huge number of things and is, perhaps, a poor example.

Quote:
I want my applications to leverage my remote web server to send a message from my hosted email address to the user.
What is the easiest way to do this?
The easiest way is to use the SMTP Socket class to transfer the message to an MTA which will accept it. Due to the proliferation of spam mail on the internet, virtually all MTAs require the client to authenticate in some way or other.

Quote:
FYI: I am able to do this from my web-based CGI app using RealStudio; now I just want to do it from the user's PC.
Most hosted web servers have an MTA configured to accept processes running on the same physical box as authentic. Whether you can use the MTA on your web server remotely, will depend on whether it allows remote processes (connections) to authenticate.

The easiest way to send mail from an RB app is to plug into the SMTPSocket class, the same MTA details used by other mail clients which successfully send mail from the same PC. If there is no mail client and no suitable MTA is known of, you could use a publicly accessible MTA, such as g-mail. Neither of those methods meets your requirement to send via your own web server though.

The SMTPSocket class is compliant with several MTA authentication schemes but it does depend on configuring the SMTPSocket to authenticate the way the MTA requires it to. Authentication might be as simple as connecting from a known IP address, it might use the AUTH protocol in plain text or encrypted, it may use a combination of these schemes. It all depends how the MTA has been configured.