Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:33 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: ServerSocket.MaximumSocketsConnect Question
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:22 pm 

First of all can I just thank taylor-design and J.Sh3ppard for their constructive suggestions to my initial question. I've learnt a lot from both of your posts. I don't want to get into a flame war but noobi3, although I appreciate some of your links - I think you've behaved pretty childishly and most of your comments are not helpful. Insulting longstanding forum members will not endear you to anybody.

Getting to the specifics of what's been said:

taylor-design wrote:
If I understand MadDoc correctly, he intends to develop a WE app that has WE pages for admin, but uses ServerSockets to handle desktop client connections

Correct.

taylor-design wrote:
The ServerSockets should be just as fast as in a console app.

Great.

J.Sh3ppard wrote:
He's talking about having thousands of connects. It is not all the same and he wants to design it correctly to be as efficient as it can be within reason with the future possibility to scale.

This is principally a design question. The game is still very early in development and I want to make sure the foundations are laid correctly.

taylor-design wrote:
Let's say the OS limit on sockets is 65,000. MadDoc has 100,000 gamers that need to communicate with the server, but the communication is infrequent and small, i.e. he is limited not by bandwidth or CPU but by available sockets and RAM. In this case the choices would be 1 or 3.

Your advice is sound. I've decided (and have largely implemented) to recode the client/server model such that clients connect temporarily to the server to get the data they need and then disconnect. This strikes me as the best way to maximise the number of users the game could handle at once.

One question I'm not too clear about (and this would only be relevant if the game proved popular) would be the best way to add multiple server apps to handle the load. I may start a separate thread about this should the need arise...

taylor-design wrote:
if it proves to be popular:

* A dedicated server will last longer then a VPS before he has to scale to multiple servers and Realbasic apps.

* If his game is popular and making him money, it will probably be more cost effective to scale out with his own hardware. That's something he would have to check at the time he does it.

I have no idea if MadDoc is doing this as a hobby or business venture or what. I don't know his budget, nor do I know if he will have 2 players or 20,000. If I had a game that I expected to start with hundreds of users I would start with a dedicated server

I am hoping the game will have at least a modicum of commercial success and I like the idea of my own hardware. I think I will stick to my current VPS setup for the time being (at least during development) but I may contact you off list for some advice if that's OK?

Phew. Lots to digest :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:39 pm 

:lol: No surrender up the chelsea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

This thread stops now.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3