Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:16 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: With - End With
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:17 pm 

I'm sorry, but convincing yourself that a shortcoming is "ok" is not what I signed on for. My level of tolerance for RB is done. I'm not just referring to With-End With. There is a pile of frustrating short comings that I can't accept.

Despite having close to a 2 year Enterprise license with RB, and with exceeding reluctance, I decided to drop it and try VB.Net for the first time. O-M-G... after struggling with the frustrations of RB, spending a week with VB.NET is like sitting in your favourite recliner that you've had for years. It may have been refurbished and takes a little adjustment, but no more than RB has. Plus I am soooo much more comfortable with it. It has the functionality I need, and it doesn't expect me to jump through hoops for the simplest of tasks. It's like I'm home again.

We were hoping to pursue RB for our main products, but it, and any third party solutions, just did not have the functionality required (and we looked hard). The third party grids that came highly recommended, as well as reporting, just couldn't come even remotely close to fulfilling our needs (which were developed long ago with VB6 & a single third party tool). I had hoped to use the web edition for one of my own products as well, but I've come to the realization that it will be futile.

We plan to eventually use RB, one day, for little related apps for iOS devices and the Web, but we really can't expect much more from it - and won't. I'm sure there's a place for it for some applications. Just not for us (or me, personally) right now. It's unfortunate. I had high hopes (and justified, reasonable expectations).