Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Import VB6 project doesn't work
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:26 pm 

jjb wrote:
The developer of vbconvert came across very well in the emails I had from him. He's also a very able programmer. I suspect he felt a bit undermined by REAL's decision to bring out their free vbma at the same time as he brought out his very reasonably priced ($65) product. It can't have helped his sales any.

But considering that VBMA isn't a code converter at all, VBConvert was a viable commercial alternative, IMO. VBMA doesn't really compare and was limited, in part, because there was a commercial alternative. That leads me to conclude that VBConvert wasn't selling well enough to make it worth the effort. In my dealings with the VBConvert developer he had a love/hate relationship with RS and I haven't seen or heard from him for years now.

But the argument is moot. After using all the converters, you still get better results by doing it by hand.

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:04 pm 

Bob Keeney wrote:
But considering that VBMA isn't a code converter at all, VBConvert was a viable commercial alternative, IMO. VBMA doesn't really compare and was limited, in part, because there was a commercial alternative.

As in :
"Look guys, AYB is going to release software that converts code, so we'd better rip the guts out of our tool"?

I prefer :

"We need to replace that crappy converter we had out before, what's the easiest thing we can get away with"

Bob Keeney wrote:
In my dealings with the VBConvert developer he had a love/hate relationship with RS

Sounds about average :)

Bob Keeney wrote:
I haven't seen or heard from him for years now.

Maybe people who want one can still get hold of a copy here for a couple of months more.

I don't know anything much about the guy but (like a lot of geeks) it sounds like he's more of a programmer than a businessman.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:37 pm 

tseyfarth wrote:
For some reason, after performing the import sequence per the readme file, there is never any indication that the conversion is done - although the xml file is created. The converter does not start RS automatically and when I try to open the project (which is successful) there are none of the forms or objects that were in the original VB6 code presented.

I have the same problem also. I downloaded the migration assistant 2009 Release 2 (Build 463) and the trial version of real studio 2010 release 5.
I believe that the migration assistant works somehow, as I get some large xml files, and a look with a text editor indicates that the orginal source code is in there.
Reading this into RB creates a least some work as it takes significant time for my larger projekt. But then I see nothing, and if I save as rbp then I get just a 11kB file with no real content. So I believe that RB cannot read the xml files, and RB and migration assistant are incompatible.
I wonder if anybody at Realsoft will fix that.
In first place, I just wanted to find out if migration from VB to RB is less obnoxious than migration to Visual Studio :?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:06 am 

I got a copy of VB Convert Pro yesterday. It does in face work, and works really well. Pretty much everything is converted. While I did this to see what the equivalent RB files would look like, and did not take the time to try the converted project as a "RB" project, at least it DID convert! Whereas the RB did not do anything other than create a XML file that does absolutely nothing for me.

Tim

Post subject: Re: Import VB6 project doesn't work- Edit the xml file first
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:42 am 

Regarding the xml files created by the VB Migration Assistant, I found that it was necessary to check for symbols such as &, < and > in the xml file and replace them with &amp; (for &), &lt; (for <) and &gt; (for >) before RB would open and show the 'converted' project.
Not all such symbols get converted by the Migration Assistant unfortunately, particularly in large files, and generally the non-converted symbols are in the Notes section (a repeat of the VB6 code) so deleting that removes most, if not all, problems.
For example,
This code
<SourceLine>'Parameters: <None></SourceLine>
should be
<SourceLine>'Parameters: &lt;None&gt;</SourceLine>.
This code
<PropertyVal Name ="BackColor">&H80000005&</PropertyVal>
should be
<PropertyVal Name ="BackColor">&amp;H80000005&amp;</PropertyVal>.
This code
<NoteLine> If MsgBox(strMsg1 & " " + Drive1.Drive, 53, strMsg2) = 2 Then</NoteLine>
should be
<NoteLine> If MsgBox(strMsg1 &amp; " " + Drive1.Drive, 53, strMsg2) = 2 Then</NoteLine>.

Allan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:21 pm 

Quote:
Maybe people who want one can still get hold of a copy here for a couple of months more.

That link is no longer active, but he moved it over to this link as a free version. Here is the link:

http://www.pismotek.com/downloads.php

The developer told me in an email that it doesn't all the features as the original AYB Pro version (which I bought for $65 a couple of years ago). I ran the free version on a 30,000 line VB6 project and it tends to do OK with straight VB code. But when you get into the interface stuff, it really can't do much with 3rd party controls. So to quote Bob in an email exchange I had with him on this topic a couple of years ago, The interface you will probably doing most of it by hand and the converters may be worth a look on the business logic. I can say that a lot of small functions that were just straight VB code it is worth the effort to run the converter.

-Merv