Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:32 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:16 pm 

Just so I'm perfectly clear since I feel like I'm hijacking a thread. :-P

The OP stated that they've worked for a fair amount of time on an x-platform widget set which provides a streamlined interface across platforms. Regardless of my personal and professional opinions on the topic, it's still a good project (if nothing else, as a learning experience) and I don't want to discourage you from working on it.

I brought up my concerns as a courtesy, because I'd want someone to say something to me were our roles reversed. :-) But keep at it, and I'd be happy to point out things you may not have considered before in terms of functionality you may want to support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:24 pm 

Lol.

Yoda says "Started the flame wars have..." :-)

I agree with Aaron, this was not a discussion on which interfaces are custom and which are not (Which side is dark and which side is light for you Stars Wars afficianados).

I wanted some help to redesign some of the controls to provide a x-platform look and feel, Aaron gave me some pointers on why I shouldnt. But I still feel that I should go ahead, Aaron still feels that I should go ahead, and go ahead I must ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:30 pm 

Would that be "go forth young padwan?" ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:11 am 

I too agree with what Aaron is saying, going totally off the beaten GUI path, might look cool, but does it add anything to the usability of the application?

Now adding, non standard GUI elements that still follow the human interface guidelines of the OS that you are coding for, not an issue.

I think all Aaron is saying it that there are a lot of issues to keep in mind when going off and designing your own controls and that it can add a lot of work to the coding of the application.

That said, I'm guilty of creating my own custom GUI controls. :oops:

Cheers!

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:56 am 

Before everyone jumps my rear for justifying skinning, hear me out on this.

Everyone, to me, dislikes it because for every good example, there are 10-50 bad examples. Don't blame them for that.

There is something else skinning is good for: relabeling and remapping. Think about it for a second: if the programmer made his app skinnable, and the app is going to be used for various purposes within a company, the departments can customize the standard parts to fit the needs of their department.

Now, this is rarely the case, as most apps (all that I have seen) that have this feature are minor apps - your MP3 player, your movie players, etc. The only major app with skinning is the OS. (And, both Classic and OS X have skinning capabilities, although for OS X, like Classic before it was integrated into the OS, it's a shareware option.)

This was going to be a feature in the app I was doing for work, for precisely that reason. The only reason why I yanked it (right now) is time - it's not a mission-critical element right now.

Me and my thoughts. :)

Wayne C. Winquist

P.S. anyone who is interested in this topic should invest a little time in Resexcellence.com, which also has some really good articles on RealBasic.

Not Wayne's World Wordpress
Not Wayne's World MySpace!
Not Wayne's World Yahoo! 360