Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:18 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RB 2005 Build 3 Icons
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:45 pm 

Build 3 RB 2005 Icons*:

1. Why has RS removed the 16 X 12 icons from the icon build window?

2. Why don't Classic builds show any icons, just generic icons?

*Sorry I no longer have a running copy of RB 2005 Build 3 for reference as it crashed on day 2 of my trial when I clicked an item in the language reference and upon restart it said my 15 days had already expired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:08 am 

16x12 icons aren't actually needed. Classic (the only OS that really uses them) can resize the 16x16 icon to fit. If you want to add them later, you can using a tool like Iconographer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:44 am 

"16x12 icons aren't actually needed. Classic (the only OS that really uses them) can resize the 16x16 icon to fit. If you want to add them later, you can using a tool like Iconographer."

So once again RS has removed another feature I've already paid for in my previous pro license upgrades. So now instead of simply pasting the icons into the project window I am expected to go out and learn to use to use and buy another application. That plan doesn't work well with the RB program I made to generate individual icons for my programs. Once again RS fails to support its original Mac customer base. The dropping of Classic can't be far behind, yet on the other hand RS supports ancient Windows Os's (their new customer base).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:51 am 

Please Aaron, can't we get an ignore button?

ETA: Something like this: http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/789

Visit RB Garage Today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:29 pm 

Hell, some people never realize how dead a technologie is... face it: classic is dead - D E A D !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:40 pm 

From what I've heard, a lot of schools still use OS 9-based machines. WHich means it's a market I for one can't ignore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:42 pm 

Classic is not dead yet. (You gotta give it at least 7-8 years before you declare it dead, and you'll probably see installations for a few years beyond that also.)

But I also doubt that this known troll, who asks a rhetorical question just to rile people up (after all, what does RB2005's icon editor matter if you state, in the same paragraph, that you can't even use it?) even has such a project. I'd bet he made it up so that he could make his concern about the missing icon size seem more relevant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:15 pm 

Probably right. But as long as we can still build Carbon apps that run under OS9 with CarbonLib, I'm ok. (This just raised another concern for me, which I'll post in the Macintosh sector where it belongs.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:08 pm 

Well its as dead as Win95. Sure there are people still using it, but the only way to exterminate this „evil” is to force the users to OSX. Pre-OSX was as bad as Win95 and I really can't understand users that still cling to it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:25 pm 

Panther wrote:
Well its as dead as Win95. Sure there are people still using it, but the only way to exterminate this „evil” is to force the users to OSX. Pre-OSX was as bad as Win95 and I really can't understand users that still cling to it...

Over the course of MacOS 8 and 9, I completely built my entire workflow around tabbed windows. It took me more than a couple years to move to OS X, since it lacks this crucial (IMO) feature, and I'm still not nearly as comfortable in OS X as I was in OS 8 and 9.

One of the differences between Apple and Microsoft is that Windows XP still has every feature that Windows 95 had. Apple removed a good number of features from OS X that were available previously, and although they've added most of them back in, they haven't added all of them back in. I lament my tabbed window-based workflow to this day, because I've found no way of replicating it in any OS currently available.

Also, the Finder in OS X sucks. (I could get long-winded if you want, but it's more concise to just say it sucks and move on.)

Additionally, I had very expensive applications (Office 98 and Adobe Photoshop 5.5) that wouldn't run well in Classic. They crashed often, and Office exhibited some strange behavior... the backwards-compatibility just wasn't there. I only really switched completely when I bought my G5 which is technically incapable of running OS 9.

In any case, I am using OS X now, but to say Classic is dead is ignoring a few facts:

1) The vast, vast majority of home users never upgrade the OS that comes with the computer. Probably 95% or more of people don't.

2) A good majority of people never discard their computer until it breaks in some way.

3) Businesses are loathe to toss away solutions that work, even when those solutions are based on "obsolete" technologies, like OS 9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:38 pm 

"But I also doubt that this known troll, who asks a rhetorical question just to rile people up (after all, what does RB2005's icon editor matter if you state, in the same paragraph, that you can't even use it?) even has such a project. I'd bet he made it up so that he could make his concern about the missing icon size seem more relevant."

BlaketRat, you've publically stated you use version 3 of Realbasic and are NOT a commercial software developer because you prefer being a system administrator at a hospital. This makes me wonder why you continue to troll the RB boards as you have no financial stake in RB - your income does not depend on it.

With all your so called experience it would never occur to you to build a simple RB project to automatically generate and save the different icon sizes needed for RB's build window? Why would want to do this by hand when you can click a button and everything is done in 1 second?

Fact remains RS continues to claim it not dropping the quality of support for the Mac, but it continues to drop Mac features we already paid for.

Frankly "obsolete" is a meaningless word when it comes to the business world - its whatever gets the job done in the most effecient and cost effective way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:34 am 

I really hate to be this way BUT damn I glad that he's been Banned. :)

Post subject: So how does one add an icon or image to an RB app?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:34 pm 

Hi.

Not to thread jack here but can anyone tell me what the proper way to add an icon or image to an RB made app in RB 2005 is?

I don't seem to be able to find out how and the previous postings I don't think mentioned it either.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:32 am 

Just one thought from the peanut gallery on the "Classic is dead" issue:

As much as like OS X and Win XP, there is still a ____ of a lot you can do with one of the older machines. An older PC, for example, could be made into a modern-day Media Server (Without XP Media Center Edition, I might add!), an older mac can be a print-and-scan machine (This is what we used to do with older machines at work), and in some cases, with a bit of programming, you can create programs that are on par with some of the better knowns today.

So what if it ain't new? If the end user can still utilize it, it ain't dead. :)

Wayne C. Winquist

P.S. I have a Beige G3 that I use as a media machine in OS 9 - very few new features I would want to add to it right now. ;)

Not Wayne's World Wordpress
Not Wayne's World MySpace!
Not Wayne's World Yahoo! 360

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:08 am 

Sure, there are a lot of uses for older machines, but sooner or later, you might have to drop support to support newer machines and better features.