Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:51 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Build issues
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:59 am 

Hi everyone

I have looked for an answer but cannot find it on the boards - so if this is old stuff please forgive me.

I have an app which compiles and runs quite happily under the debug mode, however when I try to build the app (for the same platform win 7 (64)) then the build process does not finish. Realstudio gets stuck (I have screenshot but I don't know how to post it) and the only way to stop it is through task manager. Hitting "cancel" on the build window does nothing and as the offending build window is precedent nothing else will work.

In the builds location I have all the necessary build files (I assume) but the .exe, whilst it runs, clearly is not doing what it should. Fo instance a listbox which is populated internally shows nothing, menus do not work, databases are not found etc... it is though the build is not complete.

I have asked for support from RealStudio but as yet had no reply which admittedly is only a short time so far, but I need to get this moving.

Has anyone seen, had this issue before?

Is there something glaringly obvious which I am not seeing?...

I am really at a loss

Thanks in advance

Nick

Post subject: Re: Build issues
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:28 am 

That is odd. Sounds like something's corrupt. Try clearing the cache:

Paul Lefebvre wrote:
On OS X it is:

~/Library/Caches/Real Studio

On Windows it is something like this, IIRC:

C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\Real Studio

(Taken from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45046&p=251480)

Hope this helps! :)

RS Enterprise 2012r1.1

Programming Tutorials & Free Projects: http://www.JasonTheAdams.com
"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried." - G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:54 am 

Many thanks Jason for taking the time to reply.

First off I thought it was a corruption of Realstudio so I uninstalled/downloaded and installed a "new" version - no change

I cleared the caches (per your suggestion)...alas now I have 2 open dialogue windows 1) The build window and NOW 2) the compile window both of which are impervious to "cancel" and other than going to task manager there seems (to me at least) that there is no other way to halt the process.

Also now the compile window is not shutting down there is now no builds folder for the attempted build.

But thanks again for the suggestion...I'll take anything at the moment

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:39 am 

Wow.. Sorry you're having such grief. Four questions:

1) Did you clear the cache before or after you reinstalled?

2) What OS are you on?

3) What version of RS are you using?

4) Can you upload some screenshots to a host (or photobucket or something)?

RS Enterprise 2012r1.1

"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried." - G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:58 am 

Hi Jason

Here are the dropbox links (the blue square is just to protect confidentiality of client - actually is the client logo)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jeb8pgqoavvc ... ation1.jpg

After clearing cache this is what happened
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9rf5cja59fl8 ... ation2.jpg

OS = Window 7 Pro svc pk 1 - 64bit i5 Intel 760@2.80hz

RS = 2012r2.1 (downloaded again today) pro edition

Cache cleared after re-install

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:11 am 

Alright, well I'm running pretty much that exact system, so I know there's no problems there. Please understand I'm helping where I can, but this is total speculation on my part; I'm not RS tech support. ;)

As far as I can tell, we've ruled out that the installation is somehow corrupt (outside of installing to a new directory). You could also try removing the partial builds that you're getting.

If neither of those work, then it's really time for tech support. It's almost time for the folks in Texas to be waking up, so you might try calling in the next hour or two.

RS Enterprise 2012r1.1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:18 am 
Real Software Engineer

Are there lots of big images in the project ?
Video ?
Those often causes issues as they all have to be loaded into memory to link the application - which is why we often recommend loading them dynamically at run time instead of putting them in the project itself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:58 am 

I totally understand that any help here is user experience(s)/knowhow etc...and thank you so much for even suggesting some things. I have tried everything.

I have written to tech support and await a reply (as I said only yesterday - so got to be a little patient there)

The largest image (no movies etc) is around 30KB as I am only using icons/backdrops (for bevel buttons). My first inclination was databases (I am using 4 separate DBs) - at first I had them internal adding to the project page (thinking along the same line in terms of size but the largest DB is only 250KB)) now they are all external DBs and still the same problem. In all honesty I do not know what a big app would build to in terms of size currently my is around 5MB when built.

I have had nothing but issues with RS software - my first project actually managed to lock up RS completely when I mistakenly set up listbox column width on the property page - the whole app fell over (never got a reply from RS on that and is still outstanding on the feedback service for 2 months now - not even looked at as far as I can tell) - I also have the problem of closing RS down using "close (X)" button then help/user guide doing the same and the RS process never being released from memory. Something screwy going on but what's odd is that other projects build fine so it is something to do with the current project methinks.

Once again thanks everyone for the input.