Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:12 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Clipboard picture problem
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:25 pm 

I am experiencing a problem with clipboard pictures. The picture shows up in a new picture variable when I call for it, but it is scrolled one or maybe 2 pixels to the right. The rightmost pixels have rolled over back to the left side of the picture. The problem shows up in both a canvas and the debugger.

I have tried re-booting to no avail. Anyone experience the same problem?

Post subject: Re: Clipboard picture problem
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:15 pm 

How are you putting the pic from the clipboard into your canvas?

http://www.classonesoftware.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:11 pm 

classone wrote:
How are you putting the pic from the clipboard into your canvas?

Here's a sample:

dim c as new Clipboard

if c.PictureAvailable then
canvas1.Width = c.Picture.Width
canvas1.Height = c.Picture.Height
canvas1.Backdrop = c.Picture
end

It also happens when I use a Paint event to draw a picture. And it shows up in the debugger.

I just discovered I also sometimes am getting an inverted picture. I reinstalled Real Studio, latest version. I'm wondering if I have some malware issues but I have Norton's and it seems to think I'm okay.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:32 am 

Your problem most likely occurs when you get the pic dimensions right from the clipboard. Create a picture variable to hold the clip pic. Make it either a global variable or a property of the window where it is shown.
In the Paint event of your canvas, do

g.drawpicture myPic, 0, 0

There is no need to resize the canvas to the pic dimensions since you apparently want the orig. size of the pic. The parts of the canvas which don't hold a pic will be complete transparent anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:46 am 

classone wrote:
Your problem most likely occurs when you get the pic dimensions right from the clipboard. Create a picture variable to hold the clip pic. Make it either a global variable or a property of the window where it is shown.
In the Paint event of your canvas, do

g.drawpicture myPic, 0, 0

There is no need to resize the canvas to the pic dimensions since you apparently want the orig. size of the pic. The parts of the canvas which don't hold a pic will be complete transparent anyway.

I probably should have given an even simpler code. The resizing of the pic from the clipboard is not necessary for the problem to occur. I went ahead, though, and used your code as follows:

In button event:

dim c as new Clipboard

if c.PictureAvailable then
myPic = c.Picture ' myPic is a global Picture variable
end

Canvas1.Refresh

In canvas paint event:

g.DrawPicture  myPic, 0,0

The result was, on one case, an upsidedown image, and in another, the scrolled pixels.

I think it must be a system issue but the thing about that is, I can copy and paste images from the internet to my paint programs with no problem. It seems only to affect Real Studio. I'm perplexed.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:10 pm 

Well, I tried things with my laptop and got the exact same results. This tells me the problem is somehow related to Real Studio ... I think. The only thing I have in common between my desktop and laptop is the "Funmoods" malware which is almost impossible to get rid of. Maybe that's affecting both computers.

Could someone please just try copying the WeatherUnderground logo into the clipboard, then seeing if it is inverted when copied to a picture in RS?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:09 pm 

I've tested this on three computers now and the problem shows up on all of them, a Windows 8, a Windows 7, and an XP machine. It seems to me there might be a bug in the Real Studio clipboard function. I guess I should file a bug report but I don't really know how to do that. I downloaded the latest "feedback" module but it fails to work, says it couldn't find the latest update, check back later. Sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:34 pm 

I don't know where you got the WeatherUnderground logo to which you refer, but I have no trouble using the code you posted to copy a picture of mine to the clipboard and then display it in a canvas. I would think that if it was RS causing the inversion and clipping you describe, there would be a general howl on the lists and this is the only post on this topic of which I am aware.

Mac MBP
OS 10.8.3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:24 pm 

classone wrote:
I don't know where you got the WeatherUnderground logo to which you refer, but I have no trouble using the code you posted to copy a picture of mine to the clipboard and then display it in a canvas. I would think that if it was RS causing the inversion and clipping you describe, there would be a general howl on the lists and this is the only post on this topic of which I am aware.

Mac MBP
OS 10.8.3

Yeah, I know. I finally got the feedback to work and I posted my problem there. The thing is, it happened on three different computers. I haven't tried it with a Mac but I will when I can.

Here's the URL of the WeatherUnderground logo. It's the topmost logo (says "wunderground.com'). I just right-click copied it and used it as my image on the clipboard.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=46526

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:45 pm 

Well, I tried it on my Dell with Win 7 and I got the inverted image you described. I am flabbergasted.
I guess it is a Win problem with RS 2012.
P.S. I continue to be amazed at what bugs have yet to be found. Hope you get a response to your feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:37 pm 

classone wrote:
Well, I tried it on my Dell with Win 7 and I got the inverted image you described. I am flabbergasted.
I guess it is a Win problem with RS 2012.
P.S. I continue to be amazed at what bugs have yet to be found. Hope you get a response to your feedback.

Wow! I'm not alone. That makes me feel good and it saves me a lot of messing with my Windows. Thanks for confirming. I'll keep everyone posted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:54 pm 

Update:

Well, the crew verified the that pictures are indeed getting corrupted from the clipboard and now are reporting that it is fixed and awaiting final verification. I'm wondering, when the bug is fixed, how do we go about getting the update? Does that come out right away (IOW, can I just redownload the latest version) or do we have to wait until the officially offer a new upgrade?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:12 pm 

Quote:
Does that come out right away ...

Oh, that it were so.
You get fixes when the next version is released. Probably to be 2013r1 and, hopefully, this month. (fingers crossed)