Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:42 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Question about objects and scope
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:57 am 

I'm very new to RB but I have done a fair amount of programming using NeXTSTEP, Xcode and Delphi.

I'm confused about where to put my classes, how to instaniate them and the scope.

For example, in Xcode I usually instantiate my objects in the ApplicationDidFinishLaunching method

In RB, I created module, added my object with a few methods but I'm doing something wrong because when I try to access the object from a button on a window:

textfield1.text =str( myObject.internalYield)

I get an error message

However, if I declare everything in the mousedown function:
dim myobject As new sst.sstPipe
dim myobject as sst.sstPipe
myobject=new sst.sstPipe

myobject.initdp(5.875,4.875,135000,1.0)

it works fine.

Thanks in advance,

Post subject: Re: Question about objects and scope
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:43 pm 

For global objects (one defined in a module and set to Global or Public), you can instantiate them in either

app.Open (before the window is created)
window.Open (after the window is created)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:58 am 

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:54 am 

bjv wrote:
For example, in Xcode I usually instantiate my objects in the ApplicationDidFinishLaunching method

The equivalent in RB would be to do it in App.Open. I rarely have any need for that, however... what sort of global objects are you instantiating?

bjv wrote:
In RB, I created module, added my object with a few methods but I'm doing something wrong because when I try to access the object from a button on a window:

I get an error message

OK, what do you mean by "added my object" to your module? What exactly did you type or press? What error message do you get? Is "myObject" the name of your module, or some property inside your module? If the latter, did you be sure to make it a global module property? Some specifics would help us help you better.

Without specifics, I can only guess that myObject is a module property, and either you didn't make it global (and so have no access to it outside the module, at least not without the module prefix), or never instantiated it (so its value is nil, and trying to access the internalYield property of a nil object results in a NilObjectException).

If you really do have modules you want to initialize on startup, then App.Open is a reasonable place to do that. Just call SomeModule.Init, where "Init" is a public method in SomeModule, which you would write to do whatever initialization you need (such as instantiating a sst.sstPipe and stuffing it into myObject).

Also, as a general rule, let me suggest you avoid global properties and methods in modules, and instead make them public — they're still accessible everywhere, but only via the module name (e.g. SomeModule.myObject rather than just myObject). This avoids cluttering the global namespace.

HTH,
- Joe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:53 am 

bjv wrote:
...However, if I declare everything in the mousedown function:
dim myobject As new sst.sstPipe
dim myobject as sst.sstPipe
myobject=new sst.sstPipe...

If you declare these as variables within an event or method, their scope will be limited to that method. Declare MyObject as a property of the window, and it will be available to any method/event of that window (and if you declare it as a public property, it can be accessed outside the window). You can instantiate the object in the window's 'Open' event, or create a Constructor method for the window, and instantiate it there.