Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:07 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Turning a TextField into a PopupMenu
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:19 am 

I have an application where after the user enters some information into a TextField, the program uses the information in the TextField to retrieve information from a database. The information retrieved from the database is used to auto-fill some other TextFields in the display form.

Think of it as like a customer order form where the user enters a customer's last name and the program retrieves other customer data.

Sometimes the database returns more than one record in the retrieval and I'd like to give the user a list of the "names" returned and let them select which they want.

I've thought of having two controls in the same spot - a TextField and a PopupMenu - and having the software switch which is visible and active based on the state of the processing.

Is there a better or more elegant method ?

Post subject: Re: Turning a TextField into a PopupMenu
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:07 am 

RonBower wrote:
I have an application where after the user enters some information into a TextField, the program uses the information in the TextField to retrieve information from a database. The information retrieved from the database is used to auto-fill some other TextFields in the display form.

Think of it as like a customer order form where the user enters a customer's last name and the program retrieves other customer data.

Sometimes the database returns more than one record in the retrieval and I'd like to give the user a list of the "names" returned and let them select which they want.

I've thought of having two controls in the same spot - a TextField and a PopupMenu - and having the software switch which is visible and active based on the state of the processing.

Is there a better or more elegant method ?

Use a ComboBox?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:42 am 

ComboBox ... Thanks !!!

That certainly seems to be exactly what I need - I'll start seeing if I can implement it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:02 pm 

RonBower wrote:
ComboBox ... Thanks !!!

That certainly seems to be exactly what I need - I'll start seeing if I can implement it.

One thing to note if your application is cross platform - On Mac, if there are no items in the list, the dropdown will not appear, but on Windows, if there are no items, it will show a large empty drop with nothing to select, so you might want to add an empty row until there is a value entered on Windows platform.