Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:26 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: get_links method
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:06 am 

I'm trying to write a method for my friend application. The method doesn't need to run by itself it will be implemented into his app. I'm fairly new to REALBasic, I have a lot of experience with PHP and I once did a bit of QuickBasic when I was 8.

Anyway the method I'm trying to create basically gets the HTML output of a dynamically produced webpage from a URL passed to it (preferably as a string) and then split it all up into HTML tags and put each tag (open and closed tag as well as the text between them) in a seperate array value. Then it needs to look for all the link tags (ones that start with 'a href') and put those in a new array along with their text. Then it needs to search through the new array for links that link to files with a certain extension also passed into the method.

The bit I'm stuck on is getting the HTML as a string. I was thinking of using the HTTPSocket class to do it but I'm not sure how to use it properly. The rest should be fairly easy as I will use a function similar to the PHP explode function (if one exists) and a few for loops (or foreach loops if they exist) to loop through the arrays.

My method so far looks like this:
method get_links(URL as String, search as String) As links as Array
dim html as new HTTPSocket
html.Yield = true

Really I just need to know if I can write something like:
dim alltags as String
alltags = html.Get(URL)

an explode() or split() function would also be useful.

Any input would be welcome, thanks.

EDIT:
I've just looked at the Language Reference and found a Split function which helps a lot. Now all I need is that HTML string...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:36 pm 

Thanks! It was a big help, but my main problem is that I don't know how to get the content of the webpage into a string using the HTTPSocket class...