Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:10 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: a list of command syntax
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:34 am 

hi, i am new to realbasic, linux and this forum ....coming from unix, mswindows and vb6.

i am hacking through my first two days (with the users guide and tutorials on screen) and am extremely frustrated about command(s) syntax(es).... is there a compilation somewhere of the correct syntax for realbasic commands (esp in linux) ......the users manual skips through snippets of examples for this and that (and its clearly oriented to the mac os) but never clearly states what the basic syntax for the various commands are......... for example, there are lots of books on VB commands, but i cannot find one on realbasic (i ordered one that will be published february 2006 ! )

i would apprectiate any recommendations of available command / syntax info.

daveleo

Post subject: Re: a list of command syntax
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:51 am 
First off, welcome daveleo!

daveleo wrote:
i am hacking through my first two days (with the users guide and tutorials on screen) and am extremely frustrated about command(s) syntax(es)

Yes, coming from a VB 6 background, I can understand your frustration. I guess what helped me is I know some Java, so REALbasic is kind of a mix between VB 6 and Java. RB is much more structured than VB 6 (thankfully), so it sometimes takes a little time for some VB 6 developers to grasp how things are laid out.

daveleo wrote:
is there a compilation somewhere of the correct syntax for realbasic commands (esp in linux) ......the users manual skips through snippets of examples for this and that (and its clearly oriented to the mac os) but never clearly states what the basic syntax for the various commands are.........

Well, I've done well just following the User Guide and the Language Reference, but as you noted, there is an RB 2005 book coming out, hopefully in December. The Language Reference does make use of examples on more complex parts of the language, but yes, sometimes it does fall short.

All I can suggest is just use the Language Reference and the User Guide together until a REALbasic 2005-specific book is released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:14 pm 

Basic syntax for functions can be found the the Language Reference. For example, to find out how to use a particular class and what it can do, do a search in the LR for that class. It should list the events, what parameters it has, and when it would fire. It should also list the properites of it and the data type of that property and what it really controls. And there should be a list of the "methods" or functions of that class, the syntax of it, what it does and what it returns.

For the most part, things are built around classes. Not a whole lot isn't a class. To access a function of a class in a different window (which isn't used very often, but demonstates some basic things), you would probably do something like this
Window2.ControlName.SubPropertyName.Method(Param1,Param2)

That is the kind of stuff covered by the guides you went though. I don't use VB, dispite I have it (for C++ for a class), so I don't know how VB puts stuff.

I would recomend asking specific questions here, beucase the normal syntax for stuff is dot notation with functions and paramters. There are exceptions, but that is the general form

Now if you are refering to control statements (like If, For, while...) then you might be confused. I haven't looked up those in the LR to see how well they are explained. In general you have
If <condition> and <condition> or <condition> and not <condition> then
<statements>
Elseif <condition> Then
<statement>
Else
<statement>
end if

For <varible>=<number> to <max> [step <number]
<statements>
Next

While <condition>
<statement>
Wend

I don't know how much you know and how much you are just bewildered by the grandure of RB (lol :lol: )

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:26 am 

thanks for the replies....the language ref is helping.,,,,and i have resigned myself to the fact that learning RB will take more than a few days.

daveleo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:56 pm 

For better or worse, REALbasic is significately different than VB. It's takes some time to learn, but it is worth the effort in the end.