Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 4:22 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RB2012r2.1 consistent error.
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:15 am 

Hello,
Updated to latest version. No matter what type of program I write or load from the examples, the second time I run it the following error comes out and shutdowns RB "'The instruction "0x7c910cce" reference memory at "0x000000000". The memory could not be read." This only happens with RB2012r2.1. If I run previous versions like 2010 or 2011 everything works fine.
I am running XP SP3. Any suggestion why I cannot reliably use the latest version of RB?
Thank you in advance.
Luis

Post subject: Re: RB2012r2.1 consistent error.
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:21 am 

You won't like the answer. There is a known issue running Real Studio in Windows XP but after a few debug runs it eats up all available memory and finally crashes. Doesn't affect everyone but does you.

The good news is that it doesn't affect Vista, Win7 and Win8. The bad news is that Real Software has already said they won't fix it. I suppose there's a chance that Xojo won't have the same bug but I'm not sure I'd count on that.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:33 am 

Bob Keeney wrote:
You won't like the answer. There is a known issue running Real Studio in Windows XP but after a few debug runs it eats up all available memory and finally crashes. Doesn't affect everyone but does you.

The good news is that it doesn't affect Vista, Win7 and Win8. The bad news is that Real Software has already said they won't fix it. I suppose there's a chance that Xojo won't have the same bug but I'm not sure I'd count on that.

I have been using RS2012R2.1 for a long time (since it came out) on my notebook with 2Gb of Memory running Windows XP SP3, and I had no problems. Since not every one is effected by this issue, I wonder if it has anything to do with missing patch update. My XP are fully up to date with patches.

And could it maybe be an issue if you are using RS provided Libraries of Microsoft C Runtime (msvcp100.dll msvcr100.dll) instead of Microsoft own C Runtime Libraries

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 pm 

Bob Keeney wrote:

Thank you Bob for the clear statement on what is happening. Sounds like a memory leak.

I'm using XP Pro with service pack3. My system crashes all the time. Lousy stats for this system but I should be able to to run debug more than twice without crashing. I do have a few programs installed which use Microsoft's C++ runtimes which might contribute to the problem but it seems RS knows what the problem is and how to fix it, ( a bug was found but it was too late to fix it before V2 shipped ). I don't think RS should abandon XP users, there's lots out there, ask Microsoft.

WaltM

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:18 pm 

WaltM wrote:
I don't think RS should abandon XP users

They already have.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:38 pm 

Thanks for your answers. Loud and clear.
Regards.
Luis

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:55 am 

WaltM wrote:
I don't think RS should abandon XP users...

XP users should abandon XP. That OS version is just too old and if you're developing for Windows and testing only in XP you probably aren't catching problems that will occur in Vista, 7 and 8.

http://www.capaho.com

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:42 pm 
Real Software Engineer

timhare wrote:
WaltM wrote:

They already have.

We did ?
http://docs.realsoftware.com/index.php/ ... quirements

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:01 am 
Site Admin

timhare wrote:
WaltM wrote:

They already have.

We haven't announced plans for abandoning XP (it's still a supported OS), but Microsoft has:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... pport-help

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:53 am 

Paul Lefebvre wrote:
timhare wrote:
WaltM wrote:

They already have.

We haven't announced plans for abandoning XP (it's still a supported OS), but Microsoft has:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... pport-help

Does this mean RS will be putting out a bug fix for 2.1?

WaltM

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 am 
Site Admin

WaltM wrote:

No. My understanding is that the issue is due to a bug in the way Windows XP manages memory in specific situations, which Microsoft has told us is fixed by Vista/7/8. We never found a workaround for XP.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:11 am 

Paul Lefebvre wrote:
WaltM wrote:

No. My understanding is that the issue is due to a bug in the way Windows XP manages memory in specific situations, which Microsoft has told us is fixed by Vista/7/8. We never found a workaround for XP.

So, in other words, you still support creating apps for XP but can't/won't fix the memory issue with Real Studio running in XP.

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:24 am 

Bob Keeney wrote:
So, in other words, you still support creating apps for XP but can't/won't fix the memory issue with Real Studio running in XP.

That's what I meant. You can build for XP, but you really can't use the IDE on it.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Bob Keeney wrote:
Paul Lefebvre wrote:
WaltM wrote:

Not won't. We can't fix the issues with the IDE on XP, because it is an XP issue. Which oddly doesn't happen for all XP installations. But yes, built apps are supported on XP.

Of course, I don't recommend using XP for anything, let alone software development! Windows 7 is quite nice. Windows 8 is awkward, but improved with a few utilities such as Classic Shell. Windows 8.1 looks like it could be quite good.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:42 pm 

So, in other words, you still support creating apps for XP but can't/won't fix the memory issue with Real Studio running in XP.[/quote]

Not won't. We can't fix the issues with the IDE on XP, because it is an XP issue. Which oddly doesn't happen for all XP installations. But yes, built apps are supported on XP.

Of course, I don't recommend using XP for anything, let alone software development! Windows 7 is quite nice. Windows 8 is awkward, but improved with a few utilities such as Classic Shell. Windows 8.1 looks like it could be quite good.[/quote]

I must say this is disappointing. Many users have a wealth of programs built for XP and many users have clients using XP and these people,for their reasons, will not upgrade from XP, (they are in the thousands, including businesses). Xojo has deprecations and/or exclusions which pretty much means users will have to go back to 2011 or earlier since 2.1 was supposed to be such a big bug fix. And what of the future for users who have clients who may return one or two years after their last purchase of software or consultation?

As for Microsoft's assertion that this was an XP issue, I am a little confused, and skeptical. The machine that I have RS installed on now is running XP Pro. This was originally a Windows 98 machine but I upgraded to XP and went to Pro because Pro was, among other things, supposed to have better memory mangement. I also had another machine,( different brand ), with 2 gigs or ram running XP Home. These two machines had just about every imaginable type of software running on them from paint programs, ray-tracing programs, database programs, batch processing programs that have had the computers running full-tilt for four and five days, software development, and more. Throughout all of this, the only time any programs crashed were "dll hell" issues when I wasn't paying sufficient attention, until I installed Real Studio. Now this system crashes continuously. I should also point out that while pushing the machine with XP Home and running a multi-threaded dll I developed with PowerBasic I actually fried the motherboard but then nothing would run. So, from 1998 to now, the only software that keeps crashing on this cludge of a system I keep going is Real Studio.

Sorry for the long post but somethings can't be said in a few bytes.

WaltM