Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 10:45 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How do I get the hardware Serial from Motherboard?
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:44 am 

Hi there...

I'm trying to make some copy protection...

However, I want to get the motherboard serial number (not the make or model as some code here gives).

I want to link that with the email as salt and encrypt it.
I run a mac with parallels running windows 7. This should get both version outputting the same serial number - the hardware serial of the moetherboard.

Why do I need this? I want to make sure that the online activation recognizes the machine even if they've swapped hard-drives, added hardware of done a complete re-install.

Anybody got some code for this?
Cheers,
Sean

Post subject: Re: How do I get the hardware Serial from Motherboard?
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:51 am 

Search this forum...there are numerous discussions about this subject....

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:42 pm 

I know - I started one before...

I was simply after the one 1 definitive answer for this without a discourse over dozens of pages about piracy .

Is there a way to do this without plugins?

doing it by checking the bios seems to only return the model of the motherboard - not the hardware serial number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:45 pm 

There are MANY solutions already posted.... I know.. I posted 1/2 dozen of them....

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:38 pm 
Real Software Engineer

seanclancy wrote:
I know - I started one before...

I was simply after the one 1 definitive answer for this without a discourse over dozens of pages about piracy .

Is there a way to do this without plugins?

doing it by checking the bios seems to only return the model of the motherboard - not the hardware serial number

1) google for "get motherboard serial number" and there are a fair number of posts about this in various forums

2) google for "change motherboard serial number" and there are a fair number of posts about this & because the SN is usually written into the BIOS it more than likely can be altered spoofed etc

3) search these forums for "serial number" and you'll find a lot of other related posts

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:26 pm 

I went through very one of dave's posts that used the word serial number

Looking for things that remain the same after a clean re-installation

I got this:
Macs have a serial number - but they can loose them if some mac repair man does not remember to imprint the new serial number onto the new motherboard
Windows XP does not give a motherboard serial number but windows Vista upwards does - maybe HD drive serial numbers are the way to go
motherboard serial numbers can be spoofed
It's good to have multiple random checks all over the place

what about Hardware UUID - does that remain the same?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:44 pm 

Nothing is certain to remain the same.

Hard-drives get swapped out, re-arranged (you might be assuming a master drive?)... Not so with OSX... I can have a dozen bootable drives connected at the same time, and choose which one I want to boot from.

Motherboard... sure there is a chance that an Apple Tech will forget to re-serialize a repair... but I bet they only do it once :)

Network (NIC) cards? same as hard-drives...easy to swap, easy to spoof.

So is it possible to make a pirate proof protection scheme? Not very likely (Apple or Microsoft will pay you big bucks if you come up with one). Can you make it difficult for casual hackers? sure... Now you have to balance the effort to incorporate something into your application, the benefit you derive from it, and how much it annoys the end user (and oh yeah... make sure it has no "bugs" in it, or you may render your customers dead in the water).

I am currently using the 3rd generation of a private/public key method... which so far works quite well for me.
The client simply sends me the "serial number" for his install (generated by the app automatically the first time it is run)
and I send him a "key". The serial number is stored encyrpted, and is not even hidden.... But if that file were moved to another computer, the install over there would still get a new serial number when the app detects that the decryption keys don't work on that computer (the app just resets the security and unregisters that install)

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:46 pm 
Real Software Engineer

Theoretically.
What you're seeking is a sufficiently unique way of identifying one machine from another.
You'll have to combine many aspects as most things can be altered or spoofed.
But as soon as you have to use many any changes in one can / may result in a person license becoming invalid when they change the HD, graphics card, etc and that will then be a problem you have to deal with.

On a Mac hardware UUID can change if the machine gets serviced (main logic board replaced)
Windows has keys in the registry that get set when you install BUT if yo clone drives they get copied.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:57 pm 

I plan to have everything running in the background - therefore the user only needs to enter their email, my browser will take them to paypal, and then the interaction between the server and software issues liscences. Activated computers are confirm via email.

I made an outrageously great product with unbelievable value for money and have designed a way to register it as easy as possible :)
It's big (over 100 windows and 24 tools)

I'm also proud to say that I've pushed RS in directions never before stretched!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:16 am 

Make your user's life easy and reduce your support overhead. Just link registration to the email address they used during purchase and be done with it.

If you insist on using a serial number of some sort, then use the paypal transaction number. It gets passed to you along with the other purchase info, and the user receives it in the purchase receipt they get from PayPal.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:20 am 

Hi Tomis - you've got some cool tools there... does it have rotate a picture around a central axis feature?

It should be easy for the user I agree - but since they're online going to have to do a couple of steps, it would be better off.

Plus, the default is 2 licenses (for $50) and that way they can have one on their main computer and one on their laptop.
After a period of time (maybe 4-6 months), they can transfer their licenses to another computer (like if they buy a new one).

They'll only have to enter their email, pay thru Paypal and then click "activate this computer" (with an email to verify activation).
Plus they can contact me at anytime for any support!

Plus they'll automatically get online content of on evergrowing list of music lessons for guitar and bass (4,5,6 string)!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:33 pm 

seanclancy wrote:
Hi Tomis - you've got some cool tools there... does it have rotate a picture around a central axis feature?

Glad you like it! The rotation function spits back the rotated image. How you choose to align it is up to you. If you want to rotate around the center for example you'd just draw the image centered in your drawing area.

Illustration:
// rotate the image 45°
dim picRotated as picture=rotate(picInput,45)
// draw the result centered
g.DrawPicture picRotated,g.width/2 - picRotated.width/2,g.height/2 - picRotated.height/2

Quote:
[…] They'll only have to enter their email, pay thru Paypal and then click "activate this computer" […]

I always look at things from the user's perspective. As a user I hate the online purchasing process. There's too many steps, and too many fields to enter. And I really hate registration codes. It's just one more annoyance, one more thing that will get lost.

So I make the registration/validation process as simple as possible. They purchase it, they put in their purchasing email address to register it. Done.

My experience is that users who weren't going to pay, will never pay. Chasing after them is a waste of time. Conversely, users who are willing to pay will reward you by recommending your software to their friends because you've made their life easier.