Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:55 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Canvas control array
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:59 am 

I'm struggling with the following:

on a Window I place a Containercontrol. In that control I place a Canvas (myCanvas renamed to thumbCanvas). The canvas displays a JPEG as thumbnail.
With a method I want to clone that canvas and put it under the first canvas, fill it with a new JPEG

The first canvas is given an index '0'. In the action event of the button I try to clone the first canvas:
dim aCanvas as myCanvas
aCanvas = new thumbCanvas

But it doesn't work. Anybody who can point me in the right direction? Eventually I want to fill the Containercontrol with all the JPEGs in a given folder.
Help is highly appreciated....

Post subject: Re: Canvas control array
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:41 am 

If I understand what you're trying to do, then I think you might want to reconsider the design. Controls aren't intended to be used as moveable, overlapping objects. If you're trying to create a "draggable pictures" control (like the one seen here) then you should consider using a single canvas to draw the thumbnails on.

For example, you could have an array of items that specify a picture and a pair of coordinates. Then, in the Paint event of the canvas, draw the pictures in a loop. There have been a few discussions and examples of this technique on this forum and elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:45 am 

Hi,

Is myCanvas the name of the class (canvas subclass, I guess) and thumbCanvas the name of the instance/object on the window?

And, what do you mean with "it doesn't work"?

Pixe

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:20 am 

pixe656 wrote:
Hi,

Is myCanvas the name of the class (canvas subclass, I guess) and thumbCanvas the name of the instance/object on the window?

And, what do you mean with "it doesn't work"?

Pixe

Ah, forgive me. English is not my mother tongue. Nothing is happening...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:23 am 

charonn0 wrote:
If I understand what you're trying to do, then I think you might want to reconsider the design. Controls aren't intended to be used as moveable, overlapping objects. If you're trying to create a "draggable pictures" control (like the one seen here) then you should consider using a single canvas to draw the thumbnails on.

For example, you could have an array of items that specify a picture and a pair of coordinates. Then, in the Paint event of the canvas, draw the pictures in a loop. There have been a few discussions and examples of this technique on this forum and elsewhere.

OK. Thanks... I find the Graphics/Picture object difficult to comprehend. I will look into your examples. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:34 pm 

Why? Control arrays are hacks, you have a Pro (or better) version of RB, so why not use a container control that just holds a canvas (or paint the jpeg directly onto the container controls themselves)?