Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:25 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Using Bazaar VCS with RS?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:34 pm 

Hello all!

I have never used Version control software before, and decided to try Bazaar from Conical. It appears relatively easy (especially compared to some of the others like Git I looked at) but thought I'd ask the other RS users if you have any hints or tricks or things to watch out for. Currently I am trying the local version of Bazaar, running on my Win7 machine, same as RS.

One of the first items I came across during set up is it asks for the editor used. I selected the .exe from RS 2011R4. Is that typical?

Another is again, during setup, it wants to be directed to existing "locations". This brings up a couple of questions:
1. My practice has been to use external classes, modules etc, as much as practical. These are all in their own folder.
2. Each part of the project (meaning its own eventually compiled exe) is contained in its own folder.
3. Both 1 and 2 are contained within a master folder (with many many other folders, which are backups, down levels and other project components).

So is the From and To the master folder? Or for each part of the project (separate exe) that folder and then another branch is the folder containing the external classes?

If anyone has used Bazaar or other VCS with RS, I would appreciate your feedback!

Any direction would be appreciated!

Thanks
Tim

Post subject: Re: Using Bazaar VCS with RS?
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

I've never used Bazaar, but if you're going to use any version control system, you should be using the Version Control Project file format (RBVCP) for best results.